cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Transferring to another provider, cannot do it due to "social telephony".

Hi all,

I'm a volunteer at the local scout group. The person that was registered for the broadband account sadly passed away so I took it over. Only problem is I had to start a new account, and take a landline as well (which was ok as it worked out cheaper for the group (which is a registered charity)).

I've been told they cannot take over the BT line at the scout hall due to it having the "social telephony" feature. I've tried calling BT to get this removed and was told they had no idea what "social telephony" is. And "there is nothing on the line that would prevent it being moved to another provider".

So I'm basically stuck. Plusnet cannot take control of the landline, and BT say there is no reason they cannot.

Help! What do I do? This should be simple process, but it's proving difficult.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Transferring to another provider, cannot do it due to "social telephony".

Have you tried posting on PlusNet's forums to try to establish exactly what they're referencing?

https://community.plus.net

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

No, but a Google search has suggested the problem is because the account is of the type "BT Basic".

This means absolutely nothing to me and I really cannot see why BT will not release the line.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

BT Basic was one of the previous lower cost options for those on benefits, so fits in with the social tag description. Is there any reference to such a discount on the bills?

It's now known as Home Essentials so may be worth calling again & asking to speak to the team that deals with that. If the Home Essentials team can't sort it hopefully a Mod can get involved.

Edit

I believe it should also be a business account. I tried to resolve something similar a few years back with a branch of the British Legion. That too was a residential line in the name of a private individual. I spent most of my lunchtimes at work for a couple of weeks on calls to BT, going round & round in circles with promises of calls that never materialised & gave up in the end.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi @3rdnfscouts

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for your post!

I am sorry for the problems you're having moving the line to your chosen provider.  I understand you're having issues as the line was previously set up on BT Basic.  This has been changed now to Home Essentials as @rbz5416 has confirmed.

Try the advice above and post back to let us know how you get on.  If you're still having trouble we can pick up and give you a hand from here.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Is there any way I can do this via messaging? I'm at work and cannot call.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@3rdnfscouts wrote:

Is there any way I can do this via messaging? I'm at work and cannot call.

Thanks for posting back @3rdnfscouts 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Please reply to the private message and we will get back to you.  We will need to speak with you in order to sort this out but can call when it is convenient for you.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I just tried phoning again, over an hour and ten minutes waiting when I had to get on with other things.

I've replied to the private message. Please help me get this sorted out ASAP.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

if you replied to mods message then you are in a queue of other customers waiting for mod assistance and as everyone thinks their problem is a priority the mods reply in order messages received.  it is not helped by BT and openreach on strike 30/31 August

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.