cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Unable to make or receive calls

I had BT Call Sign on my account with one main number and one second number. BT sent a letter saying Call Sign will be turned off on 30th September. I think it got turned off slightly later around 5th October for me.

However, on 5th October my landline, whilst still having a dial tone, does not make or receive and calls on the main number. I've raised a fault (and complaint) three times over the last 10 days and each time BT update the fault to say I've told them it is fixed when I have not and it is not fixed.

I currently have my landline on old copper line and a totally separate Fibre to Premises for BT broadband. BT have not yet moved me to Digital Voice.

I've tried hard to suggest it is some kind of issue that the Call Sign removal has triggered because when I call my landline from any mobile I get told the number is not recognised. I get the same thing dialing from the landline. i.e. after dialing half the number I get some beeps and message saying number has not been recognised even though I have dialed the first half of a mobile only.

Nobody at BT technical support knows what the issue is and I've spent over 9 hrs of time on calls and support chats and appear no closer. Yesterday I was told they would try assigning me a totally new number but that number is still giving the same result.

Further annoyance is that BT have tried to put on a divert on my landline to a mobile three times but this has failed on each occasion. Nobody at BT appears to know where the fault lies with someone booking an engineer to come to my home then someone else saying it is something in BT and can be done remotely. Surely there must be someone at BT who knows the answer?

I work in IT and if a website goes down I just run a trace route command which point to where the issue is in the Internet IP network, does telephone not have something similar? I would move off BT now as I am fed up but there doesn't appear to be any other options when it comes to landlines and keeping the phone number I've had for 20 years.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Unable to make or receive calls

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Hi. I have flagged this for the attention of the Moderation team who should be able to assist 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Dave. Do I need to give them my details or home phone number or will they get that from my community user or just give general answer?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

If you have dialtone ( but cannot make successful calls ) try dialing 17070 , the AVR would normally be something like ‘ this circuit is defined as 01*********, if you get a response , is the number read out  your ‘main’ directory number ?, if it’s something different, make a note and try calling it from ( preferably ) another BT landline, obviously using a mobile would be simpler but not necessarily as informative ,  can you answer the call ?

Its possible that ( in error ) in removing the Call Sign facility, they may have stop/renumbered your line , stopped lines can have a soft dialtone that allows calls to emergency services and customer services ( 150/154 ) etc, but nothing else ( which could explain why part way through entering a number you get the automated message, and if ‘renumbered’ , your ‘line’ effectively has a new number for incoming calls.

If this is the case , to restore service your ‘line’ would have to be ‘start/renumbered’ , back the your original directory number .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi @jamesrbutler and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the line. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. I'll drop you over a private message now so you can get in touch.

Thanks @Devon_Dave for raising.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Thanks, I tried the 17070 and it replied with a totally different number and not my main landline or even the second call sign number we used to have. I tried calling the number from another BT landline and got a "this number is temporarily unavailable".

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

That indicates a "stopped" or spare line. Are you sure you have not been moved to BT Digital Voice, as no new PSTN connections are being made if an order is changed?

Message 9 of 16

I will check, thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@jamesrbutlerwrote:

I will check, thanks

It's been nearly 3 hours since our Moderator @DavidM has been in touch. Have you replied to his Message?

0 Ratings