cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Why do BT keep closing my complaint?

Problem no dial tone since last week.

I have 3 separate complaints all have closed as fault cleared.

Spent 2 1/4 hours on live chat yesterday and had BT engineer here for 1 hour today.

The fault is still there.

If I call faults option 2 I cannot speak to a live person just says will check my line and call me back, how on a phone that does not work?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why do BT keep closing my complaint?

Good morning @colin2018, welcome back to the BT Community. 

We would definitely expect you to continue to be updated if this fault is still ongoing.

When the engineer visited how were things left with you?

Usually we would expect some next steps to be given if this wasn't able to be resolved during the visit.

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

It does seem to be a policy of a lot of IT type support groups to close issues after a week or so whether or not they have been solved.
In a previous employment this used to happen with computer network issues. You'd raise an issue, a technician from IT support would come to your desk, fiddle with your computer and then announce with a shrug that he needed some sort of extra support to fix your issue, and then he would disappear. Next thing you knew was your issue had been "resolved" and you had to raise it all over again. This could go on for several weeks before, by chance, you got a technician who knew what he was doing and fixed your issue.
BT seems to be continuing this tradition!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Good morning Peter thank you for your concern.

The engineer left after being on phone to BT faults for a hour.

He left very frustrated with the outcome as could not resolve the issue note he was a BT person and was trying to get an open reach person to sort problem. He was not very happy I can tell you.

In the end had to leave it that  I would get an email within 24 hours saying when an open reach appointment has been made. This was because person at other end could not make an appointment.

24 hours has gone by and no email.

There are 4 closed faults for same problem which was raised on 30 September 2024

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for explaining all of that @colin2018.

So just to be sure, was it an Openreach engineer that visited here to check the line, or an internal BT engineer to provide additional support? 

Do you know if you still have an open complaint at the moment too?

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

The person was a BT engineer he had BT on his uniform.

All complaints are marked as closed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Cheers @colin2018, if this was a BT specific engineer then I'm confident that this will have been raised further to Openreach, but I can understand your hesitation at the lack of updates. 

If this issue is unresolved your complaints definitely shouldn't be getting closed if this is unresolved too. 

I'd recommend waiting a bit longer to see if you get a further update on the Openreach appointment, but if you continue to hear nothing it could be worth getting this raised directly to our dedicated complaints team

You can find all the details of how to raise this with them, along with our full code of practice on the link above.

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

When one of my landlines stopped working (dead line, not DV) a few months ago as did others in my area I raised a fault online. Every single Friday BT chose to close it and then I reopened it for the next week.   I had given my contact mobile and they never contacted it once until 4 weeks in of no service when at long long last they got the landlines in the area working again. No sign of any compensation but I cannot be bothered to ask for that even though you would think as they had all the details of 4 weeks without ability to use the landline and who is affected they could easily have applied the discount to the account for each day of no service.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Update 19 October....nothing from the the person the BT man was talking to (have record of her name) that said she would email me oppointment date within 24 hours or from my contact with the person that promised me the same on the 11 October after being on the phone for over an hour.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Is your telephone service Digital Voice so your phone instrument is plugged into your BT router or you are still on PSTN ( phone connected to a socket on the wall ) ?
If it’s DV and your broadband is working correctly, ( and that isn’t as obvious as you may think ) then there is no Openreach involvement, there is nothing OR can change/fix to provide or restore DV , it’s a BT system.

If you had a visit from BT ( rather than Openreach ) so  the vehicle livery was purple ( as opposed to predominantly white with OR ) and the image clothing  BT branded ( this appears to be the case with your visit ) , then all a home visit from BT can accomplish is checking the router , anything else ‘BT’ doesn’t need a visit to your home . If your BT visit has given the equipment a clean bill of health , then it’s a configuration issue and that’s still BT ( not OR ) the only way OR could really be involved is if your actual  ‘line’ connection is crossed , for example , your connection works , but its   crossed with another BT or Plusnet or EE customer, so your router syncs to the service ( your broadband appears to work ) but it’s connected to someone else’s ’account’ , explaining why DV doesn’t work but broadband does .

If you are still PSTN , that’s different, it would have been helpful from the start to provide more detail.

FWIW , if your broadband is working correctly ( you connected to the correct broadband ‘port’  ) and you are on DV , you don’t need a new appointment or another home visit , whatever the BT problem is it’s remote from your address , so no requirement for you to be at home , obviously if you are connected to the wrong broadband port and effectively using someone else’s broadband connection ( because of a cross connection in the Openreach network ) that needs OR intervention.

0 Ratings