cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: Alternative Router for Smart hub 2

Go to solution

Hi TimCurtis , thanks for your reply, I am not sure what info the connection stats would show, if you could give me an example of one of the data in these stats, in the meantime I have found this info which might be what you was asking for?

Status DSL.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

At some point DLM has taken umbrage and has lowered your speed to 32Mbps (from a possible 52Mbps) in order to provide a stable connection.

You possibly upset it if you made a lot of connection/disconnections whilst setting up the TP Link whilst connected to line. Give it a couple of weeks for DLM to restore your speed.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

Many thanks Licquorice - I will leave it a few weeks and hopefully the speed will increase when DLM restores it.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

As long as your line remains stable, speed should increase. Don't be tempted to restart the router to speed things up, it will only make things worse.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks again, I will leave the router alone and let it stabilise.

I was not sure if the DLM would work to a non BT hub, I was going to put my BT Smart hub 2 back on my line but now I will leave the TP Link router connected and wait.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

Yes, DLM works with any router, it is not specific to BT. The dialogue between DSLAM and router is enshrined in ITU G.993.2 which DLM utilises to obtain the necessary data.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @noopy66  and thanks for posting.

If you don't see any improvement in the next couple of weeks as per @licquorice  advice please get back to us and we'll look into this for you.

Cheers

David

Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Many thanks DavidM

According to BT Comms my download speed should be between 34 and 38 Mbps, and the method I use to test is Speedtest , however TimCurtis suggested the speeds using this app can vary considerably.

I tried using the BT Speed test via MyBT, however it fails all the time, assuming its because it cant see my BT Smart Hub online, so I cannot use that to test speed as I have a non BT router.

Another concern of mine is the amount of Errors (pkts) I can see on the stats from my router, yesterday it stated 1112 errors and today its now 8310, are these usual or excessive?

I will continue to monitor but not reboot or amend settings on my router and see what happens over the next couple of weeks.  

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

@noopy66 

Something worth checking in your DSL settings is whether G.INP (G.998.4) is enabled. No idea what TP-Link call it but it can enable faster download speeds on a matching FTTC cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Hi,

I asked TP Link if G.INP (G.998.4) is a setting I can enable, they checked and said it is not available on my Archer VR1200 router, showed me the drop down box and its not there 😞

I am also confused about why my router or line has reset itself, I was watching and for nearly 7 days it was same speed although the number of errors were slowly increasing. Router stats 28 July.jpg

Then this morning at 1AM it appears to have restarted or BT has done a reset as I have a new IP address and the UP time now only shows 0 days and 8 hours?

The downstream speed has also decreased by quite a bit.

This is very annoying as I was watching to see if the DLM improved my speed and not rebooting or touching anything as you had asked, however BT decided to reset my line and now I have to start all over again 😞 Is this going to be the norm......

3 and new up time today at 1 this morning 30 Jul.jpg

0 Ratings