cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Back To BT

Considering moving back to BT from Virgin

Original BT line was underground to front of house, will the engineer run cable for fibre 900 around to the rear to enter where I need it?

Can I use my TP Link Archer C2300 rather than the BT Router?

Thx in advance

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Back To BT

@Christine 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

If you have ordered a Full Fibre connection, then you can discuss with the Openreach Field Technician, where you would like the optical modem fitted.

If you want the ability to make and receive phone calls, then only the BT Smart Hub can be used as the primary connection to BT Broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

No phone required, thx for the reply

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Dumped Virgin 1 gig, coming back to BT 900

Will my TP Link Archer 2300 router work connected to the BT modem.

I have over 100 connected items via Wi-Fi and Ethernet, so want to leave my split 2.4 and 5 mhz SSID’s as they currently are as I read the BT smart hub 2 will not allow you to have different SSID names for 2.4 and 5 mhz bands

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

as you don't want DV then your TP link will work without any problems connected to openreach modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 12

Hi @Christine and thanks for posting.

I'd be interested to know how things go for you so please keep us updated.

Cheers

David

Message 7 of 12

Order placed, waiting for engineer conformation. There is currently a 4 day overlap before my Virgin service is disconnected.

Does the Hub 2 need to be connected to a new line for it to stabilize, as there are not enough ports on the Hub 2 for my setup.

I have 3 main ethernet connections, one to AV system, one to downstairs laptop and one to upstairs desktops and printers.

Another ethernet connection to a ethernet switch to plug in three smart device hubs, zigbee, Hive etc

Finally the WAN from Virgin router (in modem mode) to my TP Link 2300 router.

I have approx 20 smart light switches, 30 smart plugs,  25 smart light bulbs and several other appliances on 2.4ghz wifi

3 mobiles,  3 tablets and 10 Amazon echo devices on 5ghz

I will need to use my own router for all the connections, and currently every works seamlessly with the SSID's bands split.

I had BT a few years back, and had issues with not being able to split the bands even with 2 extra early discs

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

There is no need to connect the hub at all.

Message 9 of 12

That’s good to know that the new line will stabilise with my router rather than the BT hub.

I see there are new streaming boxes available since I was last with BT, do they work for free on freeview streams or do they require subscription to work?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Installation

Good Morning,

Which engineer will run cable to the rear of my house for entry, will it be the first engineer or the second visit?

regards

C

0 Ratings