cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 51

Re: Full Fibre 900 - 40mbps?

Have you tried resetting the hub (not just restarting it)?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 51

Ive tried connecting the PC directly to the ONT box now using PPPoE and still same speeds so it's not even the routers

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 51

Perhaps your PC is not fast enough, or the network card is causing a bottleneck?

If BT can see that the connection speed from the ONT to the home hub is fine, then it has to be an issue with what you are using to test with.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 51

I have the full fibre 900 with Halo 3 I went through two engineer visits and both found the connection speed is good to the house, but beyond the router dropped to abysmal speeds with uploads being faster than the downloads using OOKLA. The first engineer said he would arrange a halo disk which never showed up and a new router which did turn up, I bought a disk and things did improve by a few % but still way below at 60-90 Mb/s. The second engineer again found the speed to the house was good but dropped off again after the router. The Wi-Fi was giving poor speeds around the house so suggested using RG45 cat8 cable between the router, laptop and disk. Speeds improved dramatically so the best way is to use cables on the wireless system.

The WiFi doesn't reach my workshop 5 metres from the WiFi disk

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 51

Built PC myself. 10 core ryzen AMD processor with Aeros gigabyte latest mobo and ethernet cards. Defo aint the PC but i mean even if it was, i dont imagine id be getting 40mbps even on wifi on my phone. Surely not? 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 51

Ive bypassed the routers entirely and connected my PC directly to the ONT box. Same speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 51

I mean this is possibly worth trying. A Cat 8 cable from the ONT box to either the PC or router but i dunno, seems like thats prob a massive reach to jump from 40-50mbps to 300 with a cable. I mean the red cable is their standard.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 51

When you refer to Ethernet cards have you separate ones, or is it just one Ethernet port integrated on the MB?

There have been instances of users with 2.5b ethernet having problems due to auto negotiation problems - which is why I ask.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 51

I got both. One on the board and i also installed a bluetooth card. Again tho the thing is if it was anything to do with the computer, surely my phone connecting to the wifi would get something a little better than 40mbps. I mean i dont reckon the wifi would be giving 5% of the promised speed. At very worst id expect over 100. I raised a complaint. Somethings obv happened with the ONT box i think. Guess Ill just have to stop thinking about it cuz I have tried everything now. Thanks for everyones help tho.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 51

If you have been using the BT/Openreach supplied Ethernet cable between the ONT and SH2 router , and when connecting a PC directly to the ONT with a PPPoE session and are still getting around 40Mb it would seem to indicate an issue with OR ( it wasn’t clear to myself if you had only ever tried your own supplied Ethernet cables between the ONT and router/PC ) .
Do you know if you are one of the first or possibly the only person on your OR FTTP ‘PON’ ?, unless it’s your ONT that  is faulty ( ask for this to be changed when OR visit )  any other equipment problem would affect every other user on your PON because its a passive optical network, that could only be the headend ‘electronics’ , so if it affects you it would be affecting all other members of the same PON , if others are on this PON , do you know if anyone else is experiencing poor download speed ?

Presumably you have now reported the issue to BT , it’s simply a case of waiting for an OR tech to visit.

0 Ratings