cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 46

Re: How to configure HG612 modem to connect to BT Broadband ?

Go to solution

@nurquhar1  Does the Unifi have the option for PPPoA as well as PPPoE?

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 46

Go to solution

@licquorice 

PPPoA authenticates on the ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) layer which can only be done on the modem.

On my W9970 the modem section does the authentication, and that is then bridged to the router section. It cannot be used as a modem only, unless its an FTTC connection.

I think the only option for @nurquhar1 is to use an unlocked HG612 configured for ADSL and router mode, and then use the Unifi in the access point mode. The method to do that, is on the links I posted.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 46

Go to solution

The link I posted seems to imply that the PPPoA credentials can be entered on the modem and then bridged to the router as PPPoE. Not sure how that works though.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 46

Go to solution

I don't seem to be able to get into the webpage to update the firmware on either of the two HG612's I have. I.e. holding down the reset button, connecting the power lead, wait 5 seconds and release the reset. This is supposed to bring up the firmware loading page at 192.168.1.1. But the its not found. I can ping 192.168.1.1 so I know the board is there.

I have opened the box and solder a header to what looks like its JTAG connector. I then connected a 3v3 TTL Serial USB convert.

nurquhar1_2-1676034355633.png

With PuTTY I can now access what looks like a boot loader :

nurquhar1_0-1676034059150.png

However what to do with it now I have some access ?

What does look odd is the port number for the IP address. It has :

192.168.1.1:ffffff00

I would have expected something more like 192.168.1.1:80 or just 192.168.1.1. So I wonder if this why I can't bring up the webpage because it has a whackey port number, i.e. 4294967040

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 46

Go to solution

It just has DHCP,PPPoE or Static IP

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 46

Go to solution

Can you Telnet into the hg612 rather than web access?

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 46

Go to solution

Connection is refused on port 23 (Telnet)

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 46

Go to solution

Taking a step back from the hole & putting the spade to one side for a minute, why do you want to use the Unify? What exactly do you want to achieve that you can't with a BT Hub?

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 46

Go to solution

I'm totally confused by all this!

The HG612 will automatically connect to ADSL or VDSL lines and it's then down to the router , connected to LAN1 on the HG612 , to do the sign-on to BT Broadband using the correct details.

As for unlocking it's a very straightforward process that I've done 3 or 4 times. The significant thing is that the PC is connected directly to LAN2 o n the HG612 at the start of the process.

The Kitz instructions here are quite clear on how to do it although I've never bothered with using telnet to connect to it.

Just to add it's the SP08 firmware that's the one to use as it supports G.INP on VDSL lines.

As for opening it up , well I've never seen that before. It is necessary for the other modem (ECI) that BT issued but not the HG612.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 46

Go to solution

@TimCurtis  Actually its not that simple I'm afraid. Yes it will connect at the DSL layer, but the PPP layer is the problem. Unless the router WAN port has ATM capability, the PPPoA session needs to be dealt with by the HG612.

0 Ratings