cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 26

Re: Master socket

Sorry for the absence…been busy myself.

As I said, I’m bit confused at how you are set up.  What you have described suggests you are on Fibre 1 or Fibre 2, (that is FTTC).  If that is the case, the diagram provided by Keith is the set up you should have but with the addition of the phone plugged into the second socket on the 5c.  (You mentioned you had a 5c master socket.  This is the socket shown on the far left of Keith’s diagram).  This is assuming you are still on old PSTN phone system.  As I also said, if you are on Digital Voice, the phone plugs into the green socket on the back of the hub.

It is possible to plug an ethernet cable into the socket on the 5c as it is a dual-purpose socket and can take an ethernet RJ45 or an RJ11 plug.  The router, however, can only take an RJ11 in the DSL port.  It is the DSL port you require for FTTC.  If, (as I suspect), you are trying to connect the socket on the 5c to the WAN port on the hub with an ethernet cable it will not work.

Message 22 of 26

@mark74 

Can you not just post some photos of how you have connected everything up? Then hopefully those on the forum will be able to determine  both what service you’ve got and how it should be connected up. Think all this chat about  Ethernets and RJ11s and DSLs, PSTN and WANs may be adding to the confusion. Just a thought. 

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 26

Hi thanks for the reply I contacted tech support and they think it's an open reach issue on the line 

I did try to upload photos but the file wouldn't load 

Thanks 

Mark

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 26

@pddco   A picture before he took it apart would have been the really useful thing!

Message 25 of 26

@mark74   Seems unlikely if the test socket works.  Put your phone number in here and see what it says:

https://www.bt.com/help/check-service-status

It’s possible that the router as died, (as IT kit is like the old light bulbs, it’s most likely to go pop when it’s been off for a while and you then turn it on).  I would have thought the purple light shows that it is basically OK, however.

Your problem uploading the photo is probably that it is too big.  Try reducing the resolution.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 26

Hi thanks for the reply I spoke to tech dept they did a test and said it was faulty? 

I will try to upload again later

Thanks again 

Mark

0 Ratings