cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Mesh set up

Go to solution

Im having BT Fibre 500 installed on Monday (fttp) and would like to upgrade my home network from the get go.

I’m looking at a mesh set up and would like to know if Smart Hub 2 is capable of operating in modem mode and being used with something like the TP-Link Deco AXE5400 that would be my router? Are there any guides out there to explain the process? 

Total amateur here so please explain like I’m a child. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mesh set up

Go to solution

First of all, no the hub doesn't have a modem only mode, secondly with FTTP, you don't need a modem, the ONT is the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Are you having and will you be using Digital Voice? If so you will need to keep the SH2 connected to the ONT - the little white optical modem that will be fitted. You can still use your TP Link kit; just connect it by ethernet to the SH2. You can  use the TP Link as either a router or just as an access point.

If you are not using DV, then don't bother with the SH2 just connect the TP Link kit to the ONT via ethernet. 

You will need a log in on the TP Link router to connect to the BT network. The connection type is PPPoe. The  user name is bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password blank or bt

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

No DV required so being able to get rid of the SH2 is great. I will go ahead and order the Deco and report back with any issues. Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Toblerone92 - how did this set up work for you? I have Deco's arriving today, any advice? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@moakley24 

We have FTTP & Digital Voice & we have a Tenda M3 mesh system.

After installing the primary node I changed it's SSID & password to match those on the Smart Hub 2 so that on power-up all our devices were able to find the mesh system.

The digital voice was even easier as & just used a BT patch cord to connect the hub's phone port to our telephone extension system.

Literally a 5 minute job.

0 Ratings