cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Router and Disc pairing

Hi,

I want to extend my Wi-Fi to a building 25m away from the router which I believe is a HomeHub6. I have purchased a Disc and tried pairing it via an Ethernet cable, however it starts fine with a solid blue light but after a few minutes changes to flashing red.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Router and Disc pairing

@Leakyrabbit 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

What type of disc have you purchased, as that makes a lot of difference?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

@Leakyrabbit 

The black discs only work with the BT Smart Hub 2, and the white ones work with any home hub, but you need two of the same type, and one must always be wired to the home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

If you already have an Ethernet cable running to the outbuilding you could connect a wireless access point (WAP) to the cable in the the outbuilding and this would give you wifi in the outbuilding.

TP-Link do a Wireless Access Point starting at £20 and it is just plug and play. If you want you can change the WAP's SSiD (name) to the same SSiD as your BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Ooops, I have the black one so that is possibly the problem…..

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

That one will only configure and connect wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2. They are loaned out by BT, and need to be returned to them to avoid a charge.

I assume you bought it retail, in which case you need to return it for a refund.

If you already have an Ethernet cable running to the outbuilding, then a wireless access point is all that is needed, as already suggested.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I suspect the OP is connecting the disc to the hub with a short Ethernet lead before moving it to it's final location as per the instructions with a black disc.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

I purchased the black one and suspect that it should have been the white one….

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Thank you and i did purchase it on the retail market.

i have been convinced to fit a 4g router but after a week that is sketchy.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

You would need a minimum of two white ones. One need to be connected to the router all of the time.