cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 45

Re: Setting up a Smart Hub 2 as an Access Point

Go to solution

I was looking into this option too.

Get a PoE switch and mount a WAP to the ceiling.

Assume I can just run a Cat6 from the BT hub indoors up to the PoE switch in the garden room and it all takes care of itself?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 45

Go to solution

The hub doesn't do PoE unfortunately, you will need to power it independently.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 45

Go to solution

Oh yeh course, the switch will be powered inside the garden room but all it needs for the broadband is the Ethernet from the main hub right?

thanks for all your quick responses btw

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 45

Go to solution

Correct

Cable the hub to one port on the switch, another port on the switch to the wap and the other ports to your devices.

Message 15 of 45

Go to solution
This link throws up an access level error?
Is there an open access link?
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 45

Go to solution
Like another poster later in the thread, I get 'Access Denied' when I try to follow the link. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 45

Go to solution

The thread has been archived so no longer available, no idea why.

But I’m sure Google will take to one of the many other threads on the web that deal with this.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 45

Go to solution

I'll go into more detail possibly in another thread if it's needed, but...  I've set my SH2 up to work as closely to being an AP as possible - just so when needed I can turn it on and check the menus.  It doesn't seem to be completely "well behaved" though.  It certainly seems to perform a subnet IP scan, and if left on for long enough (24hrs+ before this starts) even though its DHCP server is off will start arguing with the router about wanting to work as a gateway causing clients to be unable to access the internet!  The SH2 is set up correctly and the odd behaviour only seems to start if it's left on for 24hrs+!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 45

Go to solution

@Crimliar 

Interesting.  I’m using a spare SH2 as a WAP at present and I’ve used an HH5b in the past.  Never had a problem with either but then again, I don’t leave them on continuously.  (I’m a wired network man myself).  I will say the DHCP in the SH2 is one of the flakier ones I’ve encountered and God knows, DHCP is often somewhat peculiar to the vendor.

Just an idea.  Plug it into a 24/7 timer and have it switch off for a minute once every 24 hours.  That should solve the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 45

Go to solution

Personally, it's only there so that I can check what's in the menus and play with settings in response to issues raised on these boards.  For day-to-day use, my Asus GT-AX6000 router, single RP-AX58 AiMesh node, and the TL-SH1008 2.5Gbps switch are more than capable of meeting my needs.  I considered peeking at what was happening using WireShark, but it all seemed like a little too much trouble!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings