cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Setting up a third party router and modem

Go to solution

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my home hub to a third party router (Asus ROG Strix AX5400) and modem (TP-Link TD-W9970) and having no luck...

Firstly I set up the modem, it's a router / modem combo but you can put it into bridge mode to work solely as a modem. Tried it out as a full router / modem set up first and it works, connects to the internet, all good. With that confirmed to work I set it into bridge mode, connected it up to the router and then proceeded to set up the router through it's GUI. Entered the 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com username and 'bt' as password, checked the connection type was 'PPPoE' and that should be all I need to do, but it never establishes a connection. 

Has anyone got experience with a TP-Link router / modem in bridge mode with an ASUS router? My BT broadband is 'Fibre Broadband (VDSL)', so unsure why it's not working. 

When I put my TP-Link into bridge mode I loose internet connection , should that be the case? I feel like the modem set up is what's stopping this from working but i'm not sure, this is the first time i've tried to set up a third party router / modem. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Setting up a third party router and modem

Go to solution

Your mistake is setting the router as PPPoA, for VDSL it is PPPoE

You also need to set the VLAN id to 101 on the modem

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Actually think it was PPPoE, my mistake I’m back on the BT hub so so couldn’t double check. Fixed my original post now.

Definitely set the VLAN ID to 101 as well. Still didn’t have any luck.

Thanks for the swift response! Appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

You need to identify which device you're issue is with. Assuming you have followed this guide, try a direct PPoE connection from a PC to the TP-Link. If that works you know your issue is with the Asus setup.

• Open Control Panel.
  • Then go to Network & Sharing Centre.
  • Click on Set up a new connection or network.
  • Select Connect to the Internet and click Next button.
  • Click on Broadband (PPPoE).
  • Enter btinternet@btbroadband.com with no password.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @aaront263 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about setting up your router. Can you try the advice posted by @rbz5416 and let us know if that helps?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

I seem to have missed the link to putting the TP-Link in bridge mode.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for their help! 

I carried out the steps mentioned in peoples replies prior to me publishing this thread, so I can't say there was a particular fix mentioned here but it was good to know what I was doing was correct from the start.

I waited a few days before trying again (just because I couldn't deal with internet downtime this week due to my job), gave it another go yesterday, factory reset both the router and modem, did the exact same steps as I did when I tried to set these up last time and miraculously it worked! No idea why, which is frustrating, but all seems to be okay now. 

Cheers!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Hello. I would like to say thank you very much for inadvertently helping me solve an issue with setting up my tp link wd9970.

I didn't realise the generic password even existed let alone was what I had needed to use. Kept on using the admin password and details listed on the bottom if my old router like a complete idiot. 

After hours it's finally working!!!! Thank you very very much!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks this helped with getting up a Netgear DM200. Silly me hadn't get the VLAN Id!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Hi,

I am receiving a 3rd party router today and will be setting it up.

I've seen in a few places I may need to enter a VLAN(as well as the PPPoE login of Username: bthomehub@btbroadband
Password: BT).

But I can't find how to find out a/my VLAN id. Is it universally 101? And will I need to enter a VLAN?

Many thanks

0 Ratings