cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 55

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

Hi first post been lurking over this topic.  Turning off 5ghz does work but sooner or later when the IP is refreshed or a router reboot it will fail again.  You need to delete all instances of your connection in the Routers IPV4 Address lists (when the device is not connected!) there may be several if you have been "messing" about for a few days, and delete the wifi connection from your 'phone?(in my case) ssid saved list.

Here is the rub.  After spending 40 minutes with BT customer/Tech Services I was advised to leave 5ghz off permanently!  I believe Customer Services may have been trying to split the bands (at my request).  I said that I had not paid for FTTP to be sent back to the dark ages!  While customer services had  been remotely working on my hub I realised that although 5ghz was turned 'on' on the home page my wifi monitoring app showed no 5ghz transmission was taking place I did tell Customer Services about this at the time.  BT were absolutely clearly aware of this issue I cannot stress that highly enough.  Their website still tells you to split the 5ghz band (which we cannot now do!).

So have bt forced my router to quietly drop its 5ghz transmission?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 55

Go to solution

Just had my upgrade to Fibre with SH2. What an inferior device it seems to be ignoring all my 5 Ghz adapaters in my PC's.

Running on an old type B Smart Hub I got one PC connected at 325 Mbs to the HUb and the other at 585 Mbps.

Now only the 2.4 Ghz adapters are recognised giving me connection speeds of 43 and 130 Mbs.

How can I get round this or do I have to tell BT I don't want their free upgrade ?

What an appalling device the SH2 is I cant't split Networks. It certainly isnt smart.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 55

Go to solution

Its your devices that choose the band to connect to, not the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks will keep watching…..

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks have noticed devices being listed in the hub as attached to 5ghz channel….will double check performance tomorrow…relief..
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks things seem to be getting back to normal one more.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 55

Go to solution

Spoke too soon. Having connected OK yesterday one PC just won’t connect at 5 GHz ..the other one connected straight away.

Does any one know of a USB WiFi adapter that supports only 5 GHZ, contrary to what I read on YouTube I can manually change my adapter characteristics my adapters don’t support the ability to change to exclude 2.4ghz.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 55

Go to solution

One step forward three steps back.

Installed a disc between the Hub and the PC’s.

Prior to installing fibre both PC’s were on the 5 GHz band. One at 325 and the other at 585 Mbps. Performance was wholly predictable. Always reconnected at 5 GHz when rebooted.

After installing the disc both PC’s connected to the disc at speeds stated above. Download speeds roughly 130 and upload around 60.

One PC was updated and rebooted and subsequently reconnected at 43 Mbps on 2.4 GHz….why. Subsequent download performance and upload was no better than before the change to fibre.

Removing the ability to split networks is a massively retrograde step, rendering any  benefits from fibre useless as device performance is totally unpredictable, especially as reconnection back at the same band is unlikely.

I am seriously thinking of getting fibre removed and going back to copper as at least device performance was predictable and controllable. Getting 300 to 350 Mbps in and then getting less than 10% of that out is pointless.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 55

Go to solution

Simply turn off the 2.4Ghz WiFi on the hub to force your device to 5Ghz

I have absolutely no idea what you intend to do with the higher speed on a single device in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 55

Go to solution
Had I not got other people in the house who have only 2.4 GHz devices I would have turned it off already. I don’t necessarily want high speed but I do want predictable speeds. If I turn off 5Ghz what speeds does 2.4 go up to ? Quite demonstrably I am not the only person to raise this issue.
0 Ratings