cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 55

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

WiFi speed will never be constant, it is too susceptible to the slightest interference and link speed will vary. My phone is currently connecting at 156Mbps link speed in an adjacent room to the hub with 5Ghz turned off.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 55

Go to solution
I have a black disc installed with SH2 is it valid to use the the Ethernet port on that for my old Hub assuming I make the appropriate changes, turning off DHCP etc..?
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks will let you know the results, if any..

Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

Yes it worked. Disc says unknown device but the two SSIDs were there showing separate bands when I looked at the Networks on my PC and IPad.

logged on to 5ghz speed ok around 230-240 mb..so all works..useful to know if the one PC keeps going onto 2.4ghz network. Ran the test off a black disc and Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution

I think we need a clear statement from BT explaining why they have removed a facility we customers have used for years . The removal of this facility certainly prevents customers from ensuring that high speeds are consistently delivered to the appropriate devices.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

@Cicero wrote:

I think we need a clear statement from BT explaining why they have removed a facility we customers have used for years .

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen!

It's BT's device and they can and do make changes to the various hubs as they feel meets BT's needs as an Internet Provider for the mass market.  

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

Simply turn off the 2.4Ghz WiFi on the hub to force your device to 5Ghz

@licquorice , you can turn off the 2.4Ghz band of the SH2 via the hub manager? And leave only the 5ghz on?

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution

Yes, of course, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution

Oh thanks, it's just I've never heard anyone say you could do that so I was unsure. I'm asking as I've got power line extenders that can only output a 2.4Ghz signal. I was thinking, I could just disable the 2.4ghz on the hub but leave 5ghz on and change the ssid. But also use the power line with a different SSID for 2.4ghz. this way I'd be able to have 2 different bands on 2 separate ssids.

0 Ratings