cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I’m obviously being thick here, but just received the new Smart Hub 2 with Complete wi-fi and I’m instantly confused by the setup instructions. The box contains an Ethernet cable with yellow ends, but the instructions talk of an EC with red ends which isn’t in the box! Any clue anyone? Also, when is west London likely to get a fibre connection? Seems crazy I’m still connecting through the phone line

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I assume you are getting FTTC and already have the copper connection so ethernet cable to connect hub to device/pc  the red ethernet cable is supplied when you get FTTP to connect ONT to router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

An ethernet cable is an ethernet cable, regardless of the colour of the cable or connectors.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I'm a novice here and afraid I have no idea what those initials stand for.  What is the difference between a hub and a router? All I want this hub/router to do is receive broadband into the house through the telephone port? I'm sure I can work it out, but it frustrates me massively when the "what's in the box" guidance doesn't match up with the set up guidance.  It's just ridiculously poor comms and I thought that was the business BT was meant to be in? Rant over....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

FTTC is fibre to street cab and existing copper from cab to your home.  if existing broadband user upgrading to FTTC then you can use existing cable to connect master socket to hub dsl/phone socket  the ethernet cable can be used to to connect hub to device and as already posted colour of ethernet cable is immaterial

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You should also have a regular RJ11 telephone cable in the box to connect to your phone socket.

rbz5416_0-1666191486310.png

Have a look at the online guides if what's in the box is confusing you.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up

You will need an ethernet cable to initially set up the WiFi Disc.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@terryp13wrote:

All I want this hub/router to do is receive broadband into the house through the telephone port? I'm sure I can work it out, but it frustrates me massively when the "what's in the box" guidance doesn't match up with the set up guidance.  

Your new SmartHub is both a modem/router combined.

You might find it easier to comprehend by watching/following this BT video.

BT - How to set up your BT Smart Hub