cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 48

Re: So....throttling...

For the traceroute, the key thing will be the difference between the result with and without VPN.  If you could post the results of both that would be helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 48

seafile-no-vpn.pngseafile-vpn.png

Top, no VPN, bottom with VPN.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 48

There's nothing glaringly different between the two, other than the VPN route showing fewer hops (although it won't be showing the hops to the VPN server, I think) - the overall latency is roughly similar.

The only thing I can think is, as @wkirkman suggested previously, one of the routers on the non-VPN route is overloaded, or has a dodgy connection, and is dropping packets (packet loss requires re-transmissions, which reduces the overall throughput of the connection).

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you will be able to do about this.  It's quite possible that the problematic router belongs to a non-BT network operator, so complaining to BT is unlikely to have any effect.  The only real hope is that the operator in question notices the problem and fixes it.

In the meantime I think your best option is to keep using the VPN.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 48

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

Just as a reminder, I experience no issues when I use my neighbour's BT wifi. A few doors down from me...

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 48

Potentially stupid question this...

...but could there be an issue derived from my own visible IP address?

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 48

It certainly seems like a strange one.

Sorry if this has already been asked but have you tried leaving both your hub and ONT powered down for a few minutes

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 48

Hi

Thanks for your idea.

Just tried it.

Powered down for 30 minutes.

Now up....and exactly the same thing. 

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 48

Do you still have the same IP address on the router as when you first discovered this problem? Just wondering if the IP address could be on a "black list" type of thing for excessive usage and being throttled by one of the intermediate routers. 

Not sure if you can force a change of IP address, but leaving your router off overnight might work to get a different one.

0 Ratings