cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Uploading anything CRIPPLES my download speed

I'm using a BT Smart Hub 2 (Fibre with BT Halo 2) with a LAN connection and whenever I try to Upload ANYTHING (So say a video to YouTube, something in Dropbox, use Backblaze etc) it absolutely cripples my download speed.

This has been happening since about November last year.

The download speed will drop to under 1 Mb while uploading and it makes doing any other online task impossible. 

I have 80/20 (Or whatever the max for this is).

Any thoughts anyone please? 

Notes: This didn't start to occur when I had a new Smart Hub and I've also tried a new Smart Hub and that doesn't make any difference either.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Uploading anything CRIPPLES my download speed

@coffee_king 

If you fully utilise your upload connection, then that will restrict your download speed.

Reduce your upload rate, and the download speed should return to normal.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

OK, so how does one LIMIT their upload speeds/connection then?

Say when uploading to YouTube?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

You'll need to download some 3rd party software to manage your upload and download speeds. You should be able to find some by uses a search engine.

I had a quick look and found some free software within 10 seconds 👍

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Oh right, so does every BT user have this same issue then? And they all have to download software to restrict upload speeds?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Its not a BT issue, its the way TCP/IP works. Downloaded packets need to sent acknowledgements back to the network. If the upload path is saturated, then that restricts that process, so your download speed drops. 

Remember you may also have other background apps uploading, like BT Cloud, OneDrive or DropBox.

Try running this test, to see what your actual speeds are https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Message 7 of 25

OK, so would you like to advise me why I've NEVER had this issue before then in all the years I've been "Online"?

I hadn't changed my router, my contract or ANY apps that backup/upload.

My other friends, work colleges etc have a similar set up to me and they don't experience this issue.

You said "Remember you may also have other background apps uploading, like BT Cloud, OneDrive or DropBox."

I already said that Dropbox affects it. Whenever anything is placed in there to upload and sync my download speeds are crippled. I dont have the other two apps you mention.

It doesnt matter which computer or tablet or phone is uploading either by LAN or Wifi, it still cripples the download speed as its uploading. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

@coffee_king  Dropbox contains settings that cater for this sort of thing. As for YouTube, I have stopped uploading (too old these days) but before you upload another video, try clearing the cache on the browser you are using. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

@coffee_king 

Run the performance checker and see if the upload speed is being affected by a network issue. You may not be getting a good upload speed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

This has been going on for six months now. I clear my cache regularly. It has nothing to do with this.
0 Ratings