cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: Using a USB ADSL modem (not router) when changed to BT Voice?

Ah, okay, thanks.

So putting it all together, BT are:

• booting any other broadband-for-internet provider off their cables unless the provider takes over the entire provision and maintainance (or, rental of BT infrastructure perhaps?) that's needed to supply voice calls and/or internet to that customer, whilst
  • adding in a stage at which both calls and internet are forced into wireless form to create emissions within the customer's home, and also
  • providing additional rented & purchased equipment which is less durable (home hubs, adaptors, optional batteries, and so on), which
  • use far more of the customer's electriticy, as well as consuming more metal, circuit boards, and plastic, than the simple wall socket (mine's at least 20 years old and in mint condition, and not powered by domestic mains) that they currently run all the same services through...
  • and that batteries which cost a non-trifling £85, with a warranty of only 52 weeks, as well as requiring their own power socket and my electricity to remain fully charged, are the solution being offered for people who'd like to ensure a landline connection even when there's a powercut.

Finally, that the fabled death of all that ancient copper wire is actually not happening, in any meaningful way, and will still require the same tools and replacement parts for a lot of it, for as long as it's the backbone of the new service.

And re-arranging contracts which will cost more, at least for some of us.

Much progress! Very wow! 💯

Thank you for your time today folks, I do sincerely appreciate this and my annoyance is with what seems to be offloading the cost of maintaining the PSTN network onto the customer in such a piecemeal way, wrapped in talk of progress and next-gen services, and not with your considerable patience in helping me to get my head around it all.  👍

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

You appear to have entirely misunderstood everything everybody has explained to you. I really can't be bothered to correct you.

Message 23 of 30

Fully agree licquorice. None so blind as those that refuse to see!

Message 24 of 30

I think I've understood it just fine, and I am grateful for the time spent on the technical side. My issue is with what BT are doing, and I don't see anything about my comment which is factually inaccurate and in need of correction.

It involves covering up decaying infrastructure by putting a thin veneer of plastic tatt at the customer's end, for which the customer also takes responsibility and has to pay electric use, whilst reducing the functionality of the basic rented service BT offers to line-only customers, exposing people to the risk of being completely cut off during powercuts (unless they pony up £85 of course), and concealing the cost of that veneer, while telling everyone it's progress.

You may see it differently, that's fine.

But the fact the PSTN network is no longer able to handle both voice and broadband in the way it used to is confirmed in this thread and in articles online. Instead of fixing that or wholesale upgrading to fibre, we get "hubs" - one of those tedious terms like "tsar" and "sustainability" often found in the close vicinity of services which are being downgraded in real terms.

BT used to be a world-beating service, a life-saver by remaining active even when the entire block suffered a powercut, and of the BT engineers I've met, and callcentre staff I've interacted with, each and every one of them has been the height of professionalism and willing to go the extra mile, so I am very disappointed with this mis-step. I've been a customer for decades, and I'm not saying this lightly at all.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 30

Hi @Squirrel898   

What was the actual question, just one simple question without embellishments.

All ISPs (not just BT) are moving to some form of digital voice for telephony, where the router then acts as the new master socket for traditional phones. I repeat, ALL ISPs will have to provide a means of connecting your existing phones to their router. There will be no change in delivery, it doesn't matter if it is copper or fibre. The only change will be the router is the new master socket for telephony.

For example, I am still connected by copper wire for my broadband and BT digital voice. There is no fibre in my village.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

Almost all your comments are factually inaccurate and in need of correction, it’s just most now have given up pointing your errors out .
£15 billion is being spent on upgrading the access network to fibre , you simultaneously state it’s covering up decaying infrastructure, yet you want to stay on it , your argument is contradictory.

The only real negative case you can make against DV , is during a power outage telephony will also be out , unless a battery backup or a uninterruptible power supply is available , that fact that PSTN works in this situation was never a design imperative, it was simply a side effect of the technology of the time and even this ‘issue’ can be mitigated, if someone is needlessly concerned ( because they are not vulnerable or have a mobile , or they overstate the likelihood of needing the emergency services during a power outage )  they can purchase this equipment themselves , if they are deemed sufficiently vulnerable, it’s provided for them .

I’d ask yourself ( and honestly answer ) when was the last time you had a power outage and needed to call 999 , I already know the truthful answer .

It’s true the consumers own  power supply is required for telephony only customers , the extra consumer cost in supplying the electricity required for this will be negligible, and nonexistent for those that already have broadband, it’s factually incorrect to state the functionality is better with PSTN ,it isn’t ,  it’s factually incorrect to state PSTN is no longer able to handle broadband ( because PSTN telephony is separate from broadband, the entire point of DV is that utilises the broadband network , PSTN doesn’t , it never has , and never could ) .
I’m afraid you don’t have a grasp of the basics

Message 27 of 30

This thread is going round in circles getting nowhere. I am going to request that it be locked.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

@gg30340 

good idea

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

TBH , I suspect the OP has re- registered as a new user , as this post is very similar to a post where the same bogus arguments were made and that ( much to that OP’s chagrin ) was locked

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

I'd have to agree with @gg30340 .

I'll lock this thread as it's just going round in circles.

Cheers

David