cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Wifi Disc

Hello,

I have a PS5 that is very slow when connected via WiFi.

My router is downstairs and I have a WiFi disc upstairs however it is still running slow and lagging (son is not happy).

My question is can I connect the PS5 via an Ethernet cable to the WiFi disc?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi Disc

Yes, but probably won't make a lot of difference. Depends if the problem is between the Disc and PS5 or Disc and Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I'm not sure where the issue is, the WiFi disc location said brilliant and the connection strength on the PS is 100% so I've no idea why it's lagging when playing so wondered if a wired connection would be better

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

A wired connection would be much better, as anything that relies on wireless, is going to subject to interference, and that will cause latency, as information has to be re-sent until there are no errors.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thank you and I can plug it into the WiFi disc ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Yes, but that won't be a wired connection as the disc still connects to the hub via WiFi

You really need a wired connection to the hub.

Message 7 of 9

@Louisa2 wrote:

Thank you and I can plug it into the WiFi disc ?

No, that is still using wireless. You would need to plug it directly into an Ethernet port on the home hub. You can use a long Ethernet cable if you wish.

Another option is powerline adapters, as they use the mains wiring to provide the connection, and are normally perform much better than wireless.

https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devices,powerline-adapters/11301-4294931593

Message 8 of 9

Or Tp Link

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

A bigger choice of devices and better than the BT ones in my opinion.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thank you. I have changed the WiFi settings from 5ghz to 2.4ghz and its much much better, my son says his ping rate is good whatever that means. Will look at what you recommended as the next step if needed.

0 Ratings