cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

can smart hub2 stop a device accessing a hot spot

My old HP  P1102w wireless printer works well when communicating with my smart hub in the same room.

I have an ethernet cable from the hub to my Sky box two rooms away.

Since activating the hot spot function on the sky box [works with any broadband provider now] my broadband signal is much improved but the HP will not print when the hot spot is on . It is a hassle and slow response switching it off and on.

If the smart hub could be forced to only accept  wifi communication from the printer directly and ignore the hotspot i think printing should be reliable again.

Is it possible?  I know very little about routers.

RR

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: can smart hub2 stop a device accessing a hot spot

Hmm a quick research suggests the printer only supports Wi-Fi b/g speed standards I wonder if the Sky STB hotspot feature is perhaps N and above only devices.

Apologies there are current levels of Wi-Fi speeds - there is usually an option to select what minimum speed standard devices can connect at but I am not familiar with this hotspot feature. Is there any option there that might related? Is 5GHz Wifi listed as this is usually offered with N level speeds.

Message 3 of 6

@Ridgerunner 

the hub does not connect to any wifi but the hub broadcasts a wifi signal and devices connect to the hub.  your printer decides which wifi signal it connects to based on the one you select and enter password.  It may be that there is a conflict in channel with hub and sky so try changing the wifi channel in the hub probably the 2.4ghz to something different.  a wifi analyser on your phone will show channels in use and enable you to select a free or less congested channel for the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Starman. There is only a simple on or off selection for the hot spot. And one has to go to Advanced settings just to find it. I read some postings that mentioned that the 1102w will not print if accessing a hot spot or a wifi extender and should be within 2 metres of the hub-it is.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks imjolly. i thought that one of the drawbacks of SH2 is that the channel can no longer be selected [unlike SH1]and the smartish hub decides what is best. i cant see any option to change or set channels when i am logged into the hub with admin rights. I will try a wifi analyser as i have never used one before.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

You can select the channel for both 2.4 and 5ghz networks Ian SH2 you just can't split the networks like you can in SH1/HH6. JUST  select smart select/auto for channel and then you get a. choice of channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings