cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Extension phone socket doesn't work

Go to solution

Hi,

The previous owner of the flat had an extension cable running along the walls, so I decided to make it neat and conceal it into the wall. I cut off the old extension, got cat6 cable and MK slave phone socket, connected blue/white to 2, orange to 3 and white/blue to 5 on both ends, but when I plug my router into that extension socket it complains that it is not connected. I use the provided ADSL filter to plug it into both master and slave sockets. I have tried not connecting orange wire at all, but no success. I have also tried a piece of cable that remained after I cut off the previous extension but with no avail.

Can it be a faulty extension socket or I am doing something wrong? I think master socket

should be fine as the old extension used to work.

20221016_102930.jpg

20221016_102959.jpg

20221016_103044.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Extension phone socket doesn't work

Go to solution

@AJDJ 

Are you a BT Broadband Customer?

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

do you have a mk4 filtered faceplate on the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Have you refitted the plate to the master socket? Extension wiring is disconnected from the incoming wiring with it removed.

Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
I switched to a different provider once I moved in, but I believe it was BT prior to that
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
There is no filtered faceplate, just the one that connects the 'test' socket with the one on the customer's side.
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I did, but I don't see anything on the plate that would affect the extension somehow.

20221016_115205.jpg

20221016_115222.jpg

Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

switched to a different provider once I moved in, but I believe it was BT prior to that

You really need to post on your new providers forum, as this is a BT Retail Customer Forum, and would not be able to help with broadband connection issues on another provider`s connection.

If you have totally broken your connection, then you will need to ask your new provider to arrange a visit from Openreach, to sort out the main master socket wiring. Extensions are your responsibility.

Its Openreach not BT Retail who look after the connection to the master socket.

Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
@Keith_Beddoe, I see, thanks
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@AJDJwrote:

I did, but I don't see anything on the plate that would affect the extension somehow.

See around 6:30 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFMfB-DYmQ

So to be clear, are you saying that the master socket no longer works either or just the extension?