cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Extension phone socket doesn't work

Go to solution

@rbz5416 thank you for your help and the video link! You were right about the faceplace disconnecting the extension. I did put it back when I was trying to make Cat6 work, but I think I didn't push the extension lock hard enough to cut through the isolation hence it wasn't working. And when I was testing cw1308 I never actually inserted the faceplate back even once thinking it wouldn't make a difference! I was doing everything right besides leaving it on the floor! Now that I've got cw1308 working I can try again with Cat6.

See from 17m20s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE42ijT25l4&t=17m20s

Message 12 of 17

Go to solution
It's amazing... nothing, nothing whatsoever is ever BT's responsibility.
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

So the OP who isn’t a BT customer , posts on a BT Consumer help forum and is told that as they are not BT customer , this forum isn’t really the appropriate place for them to be requesting ‘help’ , even though help was provided anyway , but you post that isn’t it amazing nothing is BT’s responsibility, in this case how can it be BT responsibility, wiring of extension sockets isn’t  the providers responsibility , but the householder, and in this case they aren’t  a BT customer, even if they were , it wouldn’t be a BT problem, plus as this forum is a BT customer to BT Customer one , (the only BT ‘staff’ are the moderators)  , the ‘answers’ given are intend to be from one BT customer to another , yet somehow you take from that , it’s somehow BT dodging responsibility.

Your constant trolling is a little tiresome 

Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

@MisstickMeg wrote:
It's amazing... nothing, nothing whatsoever is ever BT's responsibility.

It's amazing... everything, everything whatsoever is always BT's responsibility ... in your world! 

Message 15 of 17

Go to solution
All these people telling us it's not BT's responsibility. They're doing it for the community then?
I do appreciate the help you've given the OP and I'm sure they do too.
I have no problem with the wiring beyond the master socket not being BT's responsibility - it's been that way since master sockets were introduced, but somehow now the master socket isn't the responsibility of the phone service provider...
No, everything is openreach and openreach is like schrodinger's cat: simultaneously part of BT and nothing to do with BT.
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@MisstickMeg 

It's simple, like your electricity or gas.

The mains pipe/wiring and the box of point of entry into your property is the responsibility of the infrastructure network provider. Any wiring/pipe after that is your own responsibility.

If there's an issue with the infrastructure and it falls under the responsibility of the infrastructure network provider you report the issue to your supplier and they in turn raise this with the network infrastructure provider to come and fix.

In terms of communication providers be that Sky, TalkTalk, BT, Zen, ect... Openreach, the network infrastructure provider is responsible for the line external to your property and up to the entry point (e.g the Master phone socket). Any wiring after that is your own responsibility.

As for Openreach, as I stated in a previous thread you commented on. Openreach is part of the BT Group but Openreach has a separate board and the relationship between Openreach and rest of BT Group including BT Consumer is heavily regulated and restricted. See https://www.bt.com/about/bt/policy-and-regulation/our-governance-and-strategy/our-commitments

This means Rest of BT such as BT employee who work for BT Consumer can't just go and talk to Openreach employees. There is a formal process that needs to be followed as is the same process that all communication providers that use Openreach follow. If you break this then you end up being reported to the commitments team who then investigate. Breaches are published in a public report at: https://www.bt.com/about/bt/our-board/bt-compliance-committee/publications-and-dcr-documents

Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you @jac_95 for taking the time to try to explain this for me.

Is it really as simple as gas & electric? In both those cases all the suppliers put a resource in and get paid by the customer for what they use. The molecule of methane that I burn could have been put in by anyone. The same applies with electric - the energy I take out might have come from my supplier's solar farm or from Drax. Anyway, I digress.
I think I already accepted that Openreach are responsible for the network. One of the issues I have is that relationship between BT and Openreach. Of course it's difficult - it looks to me to have been made intentionally difficult - BT own Openreach outright. BT also own the network. On an abstract level this is fine, just like gas and electric.

Actually, I think the real issue I have is the compensation process where BT and the other telecoms providers are at the sharp end. If my service is unavailable I report it to the provider, in this case BT. My neighbour, in her 90s, who relies on her phone is also affected. She's with another provider. She has to report the fault too. How?

Dozens of properties are affected by an infrastructure fault which is the responsibility of the network maintainer. Openreach know what the fault is and what properties it affects. They know all the houses down the street are off even if every household hasn't reported it to their service provider. When we have a power cut it only takes a few people to report it and the DNO identifies the fault and knows who is affected. If my power is out and my next door neighbour's isn't then it's probably just me affected and nothing to do with the DNO.

So, yes, this isn't about the division of responsibilities between service providers and network providers; it's about the network provider being able to pretend it's unaware of the issues affecting service providers' customers and thereby avoiding paying compensation. 

Funny how this would never have come up if my compensation had been paid automatically as it is supposed to be.