cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Full Fibre 900

I had my long awaited email from Openreach today.   FTTP is now available to me.

I have just spoken to a lovely lady at BT who has done me a great deal for Fullfibre 900.

My question is, my current smart hub 2, is it the same as the one that is used for full fibre 900, and more importantly is it up the job?

My current router is sat in the hallway, with a 10m cat7 extension going into the lounge, connected to a TP Link SB108 switch, with 5 devices (4k TV, PS4, Sky Q, Desk Top, BT TV) all connected via a cat 7 ethernet.

And then there are various wireless devices, PS5, Xbox one, 5 smart phones, printer, Alexa echo,   iPads etc, around the house, and 2 BT discs to cover wifi dead spots.

Currently the Smart hub 2 is ok, its the lack of bandwidth that's the problem.

Good internet is important for my job, and the smelly teenagers I provide for! 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Full Fibre 900

You'll get a replacement SH2 with a WAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply.

So other than the WAN port, are the routers the same in spec?
Are they ok, or should I buy a better one?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

It is the same spec as the one you currently have. Personally I would get a third party router but the decicion is yours to make.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@TorquayMarc 

Are they ok, or should I buy a better one?

__________________________________________________________________________________

The Home Hub 2 have been known to have speed issues especially with upload so my advise is purchase a third party router and save yourself some headache.

Both middle to high end Asus and Netgear routers are known to work well with the 900/110 package plus you will have the benefit of WiFi-6 where as the Smart Hub 2 is only WiFi-5..

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 6 of 12

Busterboy yes I have read about certain issues, hence asking.

I'm not to bothered by the WiFi speed, as long as it's reasonable of course.. my main worry is the wired side of things.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@TorquayMarc 

Then the same applies Marc, users are having speed issues via cable.

Choice is yours mate, you asked and now have the answers.

1: Keep the Home Hub 2 and risk it.

2: Purchase a router that will work as reported by users on this forum and enjoy what you are paying for.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

So whats my options then, router wise?

I have no idea where to start for full fibre 900. 

I'm guessing you can't get an all in one, and have to connect to an Openreach modem? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

You don't need an 'all in one', the ONT is the modem.

Don't cross your bridges before you get to them, try the Hub and see if it fulfills your requirements and then decide.

Message 10 of 12

@TorquayMarc I’d stick with the SH2 to begin with to make sure your service is working as expected especially if you’re mainly interested in wired connections and in the event you need to contact the FTTP team. There are loads of options if you want to get your own router. Asus have some good options just now as do netgear but it all comes down to your property type, requirements and budget. Enjoy 👍