cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 53

Re: Internet speed

They haven't set a ceiling, it is the speed your hub reported.  7.2 is between 6 and 9 the last time I looked anyway.

Your estimated upload speed is between 6.7 and 10.7 and is within range.

Did you try the quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 53

Thank you, I got what I purchased from BT in 2018 as a domestic user and at their recommendation.

Nonetheless, if you look at the image above, the exchange has set a ceiling of 7.2 mbps uploads and although my account is for 6-9, it will never attain anything more than what I have been monitoring below:  

• 16:52 6.79

17:16 6.74

17:32 6.82

17:44 6:73

17:50 6.71

18:46 6.70

18:54 6.71

19:28 6.80

19:43 6:93

19:53 6.72

I will have to report back to the organisation that is setting the criteria for the role why I cannot meet their spec as I would not like them to think I am not diligent or interested.  They are a large organisation and it may explain why others are having similar problems.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 53

I have been online chat with BT today from 14:15 and then on and off while they were investigating the cause, they booked an engineer but established it was a local problem, sent me a new contract to agree a higher price but the upload then didn't meet the spec and when I ask for the connector code, not RJ45 so that they could order a cable, they are sending one free note requested 1m long.  The answer is with the exchange though.  

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 53

I repeat, no ceiling has been set except by the laws of physics. The figure of 7.2M is a figure that has been obtained from your hub on the 18th Dec 2019 and thus has never been higher since. It is still 7.2M today from the screenshot of your hub stats. The speeds you are quoting are upload and download speeds at your device, not sync speeds at the hub which BT  quote.

I also repeat, did you try the quiet line test for noise to discover if you have a line fault causing your slow speed.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 53

Thank you but not close enough to 9 and the spec from the employer is 9 not 7 or near.

Thank you for your help anyway, it was useful what you have shown me for other reasons managing my service.

My outcome is a high bill for the same service now and a free 1m cable .

If it is set by the exchange at 7.2 I am getting no more than anyone in my area but I am not sure about the contract then saying up to 9.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 53

As I keep saying, it is not set by the exchange, it is set by the laws of physics. Your line will sync at the maximum speed the electrical characteristics of your line will support. If, however, there is an impairment to your line which often manifests itself as a noisy line, it will impact the maximum speed capability.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 53

I think I am looking at the wrong thing - what does this mean:

Max Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream Speed

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 53

What I said in message 24, it is the up and down sync speed reported by your hub on the 18th Dec 2019 and is the fastest your line has ever synced at. It is still synced at the same speed today which leads me to believe you possibly have a line fault that has caused DLM to cap your speed to keep the connection stable.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 53

Thank you, they sent an engineer to fix the line fault a long time ago.  I changed to a fibre optic option although not new cables leading to the house.  An engineer from the exchange was sent out and what he said was the reason it kept dropping is because on old cables they used to wrap them to join but for fibre optic it had to be connected by a jack plug at the incoming socket.  It was cleared as fixed.

The upshot is, I have agreed a contract today to fix the problem but it doesn't offer me an increased speed, I asked for the cable code so I could order a longer one as I was advised an ethernet connection would fix it - I have a 1m cable and instead of giving me the code, they are sending me a new free one and finally, I have lost the job opportunity as the service will never reach the require 9mpbs.

Thank you for your help anyway, at least I have managed to establish that there is no glint of a fix by tomorrow morning for this.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 53

My apologies first of all Sage as I didn't answer the questions you were asking.

I am about 400 yards from the kerbside cabinet, I was about 2 feet away from my hub and I tried with wifi and also ethernet cable.  The exchange is around about 2 miles away - I know the building well and pass it regularly but I don't know the precise distance.

I have monitored the speed frequently and the upload does not go past 7 over the regular checks I have made in the last 24 hours.

I asked online chat if I could change my account to Fibre essential as their offer an upload speed range of 6mb to 9 mb.  My halo account range has been reduced to 6-7 - as has everyone else who is on that package.  I am only allowed to change to a halo account with more added but the range offered for all of them is 6-7 upload.  

I spoke to customer services and they have confirmed existing clients on halo are not allowed to move to fibre essential and can only move to another halo.  I was offered an increased halo account with more options on it, double the price I am paying but with only 6-7 range attached to it for upload.  The customer services says in Milton Keynes it will never get much past 6 currently.

Thank you for your patience with your answers and I realise now if I log in more frequently there is a lot of useful things I can learn even if I don't take part in the conversation and I should have done that in the first place.

I thought you may appreciate knowing the end result and it may be helpful for other customers to know as it took me 90 minutes to reach the point that even with a change of equipment, lines, tests etc, the upload  speed will not alter currently.  

Best wishes

0 Ratings