cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Whole Home Wifi: master disc drops 5GHz after few weeks

A bit of a strange issue here. I have BT Whole Home WiFi (white discs) installed with all 4 discs using Gbit ethernet backhaul (with one via homeplug adapter). The master disc is plugged into the (non-BT) router and serves the TV, Apple TV, etc. over 5GHz WiFi. These devices are all within 1m of the master disc.

After a period of between one to six weeks, the master disc stops accepting 5GHz clients. All the 3 other discs still are happy to access 2.4 & 5 GHz clients but the master disc stubbornly only accepts 2.4GHz. The consequence of this is that the TV, etc. either connects to a (remote) disc over 5GHz or falls back to 2.4GHz. This make the streaming experience (NetFlix, etc.) much slower. 

I have:

- factory reset all discs
- switched the physical master disc with one of the others

with no effect. If I then do a soft restart via the App, all is well for next few weeks.

Looking at the log for the master disc, I can see the transition from a mixture of "IF[5G]:STA" and "IF[2.4G]:STA" records as new clients come and go, to a period where all you see is the 2.4GHz only client records e.g. "IF[2.4G]:STA". For the current period, this regression happened after 3 weeks.

I am puzzled 😞 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Whole Home Wifi: master disc drops 5GHz after few weeks

@ianch99 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Please see https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Problem-with-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Please-read-this-first/td-p/202...

There is also helpdesk contact details on that page, as they are the ones that provide support.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@Keith_Beddoe why have you marked this Solved when it clearly is not? Please can you remove this? Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @ianch99 and thanks for posting.

The post was marked solved as @Keith_Beddoe post is the answer. Your best bet would be to contact the support desk on the link he's provided.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@DavidM his post is not the answer, rather it suggest possible avenues to follow to try and find the answer. Are you saying this forum cannot be used to discuss technical issues and their possible solutions?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Not at all @ianch99 . I'll remove the accepted solution as you're not happy with that.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings