Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

5Mbps upload speed on 150/30 FTTP Package

Go to solution

Hello!

I have recently been replying in the following thread:
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Re-Slow-upload-speed-900mbs-FTTP-package/m-p/2318781#...

But after some investigation I do not think I have the same issue, and hence why I am starting this new post.

I have been on the phone to BT a couple of times and with their Chat team. I've had a Home Technician (Qube?) Engineer out as well as someone from Openreach and the problem is still not resolved. So I'm hoping someone, somewhere has experienced the same and can perhaps help!
The issue is still 'open' with BT but I keep having to go through the motions before it's escalated...(which I have done three times now!)

Essentially I've been having Upload speed problems for some time now, where my 150/30 FTTP package is fine when downloading, but upload seems to be consistently below 10Mbps, where it's often below 5Mbps. I have checked this at multiple times throughout different days, and using various speed test websites.

I have spent some time troubleshooting:
- Wired connection to each of the 3 remaining ethernet ports on the Smart Hub 2
- Connected different devices (e.g. 2 different laptops and a desktop)
- Used different Cat6 and Cat5e cables
- Different Routers (2x Smart Hubs 2, Plusnet Hub 2 and TP-Link 3rd Party Router)
- Connected straight to the ONT
- Different browsers
- Private Browsing and normal
- Power cycle of Smart Hub AND ONT.

There is some odd findings however. The following three speed checks reveal very similar results:
Speedtest.net (OOkla)
Speedofme
BT Whole Sale
Which typically are 150Down / 5Up (in Mbps - Mega bits per second).

Fast.com and BT's in app speed test yields the 'right' speeds of 150/28.

What's even more baffling is when using the Speedtest.net app on my phone (iPhone 13 Pro) the speed is also approx 150/25.
Speed of me on a browser, on my phone is 150/5

Everytime I speak to BT, I need to go through the same process that I have already done and it's not enough that I've done it before. I have now spent 2 days off work waiting for an engineer to fix this, which has amounted to nothing.

Is there a way I can more easily get this escalated? Is there something else I can try? I am at a bit of a loss!

Thanks for any help in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: 5Mbps upload speed on 150/30 FTTP Package

Go to solution

Here's some screenshots of my speeds right now

Speedofme:

anotheruser88_0-1697219583076.png

Speedtest.net:

anotheruser88_1-1697219629288.png

Bt Wholesale:

anotheruser88_2-1697219651927.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Are there any ideas, at all, out there?

I've been on the phone to BT who said they passed it to Openreach, however I now see I've told them it's fixed (apparently). I am not sure how BT's system keeps updating saying that I've told them it's fixed - when I haven't. It's highly infuriating, and yet another phone call to BT.

I'm really keen to get this sorted, afterall, I am not getting what I am paying for (and my minimum guaranteed speed)!.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Another update, hoping someone sees this and might be able to help, maybe a guru or something!

I've gone through the troubleshooting process with BT, who have sent me a new hub. Only had it in for a day, but seems to be exactly the same. The troubleshooting process went through optimising WiFi when in fact it's hard wired connections also being problematic.

Told me to ignore Speed tests as they are unreliable (but also proceeds to tell me to use just one of the many I have used, and conveniently one that gives the best result).

Ignoring speed tests for a minute, I have tried multiple devices, using a wired connection to upload large files to various places: Youtube, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc. All yielding <10Mbps. 

I have also connected to a server via SFTP to perform the same test, and still <10Mbps. My friend trying to upload the same file to the same SFTP server can upload at his max speed (73Mbps).

What's going on?! Should I just go back to copper?!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @anotheruser88, sorry you're not seeing the proper upload on your full fibre connection. 

The new hub should automatically update within 48hrs of continuous connection to the correct upload cap. Please keep the hub connected and post back to let us know if the upload cap hasn't corrected and we'll be happy to look into this further for you.

Cheers

John

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnC2It's been a few days now, since the new hub was installed and has been constantly on (now over 4 days).

My upload speed on the various speed testers are much the same (except Speedtest.net).

Ignoring the speed test websites for a second, my 'real world' tests are still experiencing an upload speed of approx 9Mbps. This has been done by uploading a single large file to various cloud storage services; Google Drive, Dropbox, Onedrive etc. Uploading to Youtube, and finally using SFTP (my friend confirmed his upload of ~75Mbps was being reached). Tried this on multiple devices, via a Cat6 cable, straight into the Hub.

Definitely an odd problem I have. I have another phone call from BT tomorrow to 'check up' on the speed. They've performed all their troubleshooting - according to them all 'ok' hence now ignoring speed test results. Please help! I had a better upload speed speed on Copper!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @anotheruser88,

It sounds like we can help you in regards to the upload. I'll send you a private message so we can check this out.

Thank you
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@DanielS @JohnC2 I have sent a message regarding the details, but I have not had a response yet.

I have been on the phone with BT, and unfortunately the problem still persists.

The person on the phone has said they've tried a number of things, and mentioned there may be a 'blockage' of some sort due to the chopping and changing of my package, which is when I noticed the issues.

However, I have  already been sent a new hub, and now I am being sent a new cable - the one between the ONT and Hub - even though I have checked the speed directly at the ONT (which seems to get somewhat dismissed). I was told there's an option that might fix it, that is 'to change my upload speed and then back again' to see if it clears the issue - however this seems to be a last resort? It sounds like such a simple thing for them to do (perhaps it's not), but instead they have said they are consulting with a service team - and I have a call back from the person I've been dealing with, a week from now... at what point will this get escalated? I've had this issue for 3+ weeks now, by the call back 4+ weeks.

Is there any reason why the person on the phone, wont try the 'last resort' now, rather than me continuously waiting?

Am I in my rights to cancel the contract? I've been consistently experiencing speeds below my Stay Fast Upload Guarantee, although the BT speed check says otherwise.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

The mods are only a very small team and deal with issues in strict order of receipt. You will be contacted when your case reaches the top of their queue.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I appreciate they're only a small team. Is some form of contact within a week, a reasonable expectation?
I was contacted on the phone, and advised by a forum message my case was sent for further investigation on the 27th Oct (essentially confirming what was discussed on the phone call).
I then received a message on the 1st Nov, asking some questions (which were answered) but I have not heard anything back since then, although repeated requests to call me.

How can I escalate this further? I seem to be getting no where, and certainly no closer to a resolution. All BT's systems say it's fine but my experience says otherwise:

Here is a screenshot of Task Manager  while uploading a 3.9GB file to Google Drive (Debian ISO), using a desktop PC, connected by Cat6 directly to the Hub. Take note of the 'time left' 1hr 52 minutes this equates to ~5Mbps. Test has been replicated on 2 other machines:

anotheruser88_0-1699562169189.png

Please help!!

@RobbieMac@DanielS @JohnC2 

0 Ratings