cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband issues

Go to solution

Hi!

I have been experiencing intermittent broadband connection issues for the last few months but this has dramatically worsened in the last 7-10days.

We do seem to have a broadband connection coming into the property and speed test confirm that we are getting the speeds expected. The hub light is always blue but no devices within the household can maintain a steady connection to the WiFi. We can join the WiFi and it's shows as if there is a strong signal but nothing works. Can't access Apps on the TV (Netflix or Now TV), the BT TV itself doesn't show the TV guide, now and next and regularly pops up with the message 'broadband connection restored', our phones constantly drop connection all the time and our smart hubs are rendered almost useless. We contacted BT last week who sent us a new Hub but this seems to have made zero difference to the problem. We still have broadband coming in but nothing coming out from the hub. We have moved the hub into a central location on the flat so it has a direct line of sight to our most used devices but made no difference. We are only in a flat and not a huge property so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all for how we can get round this?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband issues

Go to solution

What sort of broadband do you have? Which hub do you have?

Given the recent weather, if your BB is supplied on copper it might be a result of water getting into the connection somewhere along its length.

Can you look at the hub statistics and post those on here along with most recent contents of the hub log.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi!

Thanks for getting in touch.

I am not the most tech savvy I'm afraid.

We just have the basic broadband package Halo1. No idea about the copper supply though. 

I've gone into the hub manager so hopefully I've got the info you suggested without giving away all of my details!

Screenshot_20231212_183109_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183125_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183144_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183625_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183635_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183643_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183703_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_183712_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I am on Full Fibre 900, and have exactly the same (at least some of it) issues as Yourself @Mels417 

Netflix ended up with an error, instead working, when accessing it on TV, BBT TV or Chromecast, and even on my mobile and tablet whilst on Broadband (but working when on the phone, via mobile network).

EE TV and Guide is non existent.

Now TV, outside of BT TV Box, on Broadband, regardless of device, no luck at all... and I can continue...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Mels417  Your log shows the connection has only been up for a few hours, is this due to your actions or due to the connection dropping? 

There appears to be a little more noise on your line than "normal", I think that 6dB is more along the expected level where as you seem to have 8.4/10.3 which again might suggest some sort of line fault.

Do you have a microfilter fitted, if so have you tried a different one?

Do you have a landline phone connected? If so try a quiet line test dial 17070. When prompted, dial 2 to select a quiet line test. You should hear "Quiet Line Test" and then silence, there should not be any pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing or similar noises. This is best done from a corded phone rather than cordless one. If you do hear any noise then try connecting it to the test socket in the master to ensure that any extensions are not causing it.  If you do hear any noise on the line report it to BT as it will also affect your BB. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, 

We got a new hub delivered yesterday and so that was set up yesterday morning which is why it's only showing as connected a few hours. Issues are exactly the same as before though but more hassle because I had to reconnect everything to the new WiFi.

Re a filter- unless that's something that's fitted as standard I would say no. We ha don't done anything other than plug in the hubs. We dont really require any fancy stuff or extreme speeds. There are just 2 of us and we just use pretty the WiFi for TV, work and social media really. 

Line test - Unfortunately although we do have a landline we dont have a phone (it's just not needed anymore) so I don't think I can check that.

I think we will just need to get back in the phone and maybe get someone out to tell us what we are doing wrong.

Thanks for all of your help.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@Mels417 

One of the first things to do is change the settings for the wifi , selecting a channel rather than use the Smart settings.

Channel 11 should be fine for the 2.4Ghz channel but change the 5Ghz channel to say 42 as channel 36 is what Sky Q uses and can cause issues.

Unless you really need it I'd disable the 5Ghz wifi as some devices struggle with both 2.4 & 5Ghz having the same name, although I'm not sure about the BT TV Pro box whether that only works with the 5Ghz wifi.

If you have any Apple devices then for your home wifi network disable Private Wifi Address.

Disregard @countrypaul comment about the noise on the line as the dB settings are higher than normal because you're limited by BT to the max rates for Fibre 2.

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Mels417 

from your stats you have HH6/SH1 so can split the wifi networks which may help your problem and enable you to keep the 5ghz network running and available

If you go to hub manager then advanced settings then wireless you can change the SSID of the 5ghz network to say BTHUB6-9N2G5 and leave password same.  I would change the wifi channels as suggested already.  now you can check to see if any of you devices can 'see' the 5ghz network new name and if so connect using the same password.  This way your 2.4ghz will be separate to the 5ghz devices and devices that are both 2.4/5ghz capable can connect to either

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Good spot about the SH1

0 Ratings