cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

FTTP---Digging up driveway

Go to solution

I am thinking of ordering the FTTP 500 product but concerned my driveway may need dug up..i have entered my details into the BT checker and get following message

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 1 Inch duct 100.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered."

Does this mean my drive may not  be dug up? No idea what" a new ONT" is. I see no evidence of entry point or any external cabling etc but going by a previous post i can assume they would tell me before hand and if the drive did need dug up i could cancel my order without penalty?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: FTTP---Digging up driveway

Go to solution

“served by a 1” duct” mean that openreach records show your existing copper cable is fed through an underground duct. The fibre would follow this route. 

problems might occur if the duct is blocked or if at some stage in the history of the property the original duct arrangement was altered. 

can you trace back from your current interior master socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Dungivenwrote:

I am thinking of ordering the FTTP 500 product but concerned my driveway may need dug up..i have entered my details into the BT checker and get following message

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 1 Inch duct 100.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered."

Does this mean my drive may not  be dug up? No idea what" a new ONT" is. I see no evidence of entry point or any external cabling etc but going by a previous post i can assume they would tell me before hand and if the drive did need dug up i could cancel my order without penalty?

1 inch duct is the giveaway there, no they shouldn't need to dig your driveway up but it may still be possible if they can't get the fibre through the duct for whatever reason.

The ONT is the magic box they will fit inside the premises to convert light energy into electrical energy.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

The standard duct to residential property for the last few decades has been duct 56 , which is a 2.5 inch duct , pulling in a fibre cable alongside the existing copper cable shouldn’t be an issue  with duct 56 ( providing it isn’t blocked ) ,  duct 100 being a one inch duct means that it’s more difficult to install a fibre cable alongside the copper one …it’s possible that they could simply cable it , or use the copper cable to pull in the fibre cable but obviously that means should it fail you have neither copper or fibre, it’s also possible the duct may prove to be unusable ….no doubt this scenario will be a two stage install , first stage to get the cable from the CBT to the house wall ,(that way your copper service isn’t put in jeopardy )  then when that’s done successfully, the install proper to fit the CSP, internal cable and ONT …..the exact details of using or not using duct 100 may need  someone  like ‘Starwire’ who sometimes contributes on here to confirm 

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for the replies, sounds like they will not dig up anything without asking me and after doing a survey,if BT can use my existing duct ( if not blocked)  ..does that mean i do not have to get their external box fitted to outside wall or will i always need to get that fitted? external-openreach-FTTP-customer-service-point--768x576.jpgopenreach.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

You will have the external box - customer service point - fitted. Cable may enter the house there or you can ask for the cable to be routed around your property to an entry point of your choice. At the entry point the modem - ONT- will be fitted and you’ll need a 13a socket. The ONT connects to a Hub by Ethernet cable. The Hub also needs a 13a socket. Have a search on here and you’ll find lots of example installations. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for the info, i live in an end terraced townhouse with front itegrated garage.Do you think it would be possible to have the BT openreach housing box installed in garage as other side of garage wall is TV with power points etc.The original master socket is in hall..(very central) someone mentioned about tracing back from that but i have a tiled hallway so cannot help much there.I live about 100 metres from green cabinet,not sure exactly.There used to be a page that told you i think from memory...and the BT entry point on street is opposite my door on other side of wall,maybe about 15metres.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

When the engineer comes to install the fibre, he/she will discuss with you where you want it placed and in most cases they will endeavour to accommodate that. If for any reason they can not do as you wish they will explain why it can not be done and will provide an alternative route and provided you are happy with that your FTTP will be installed.

If you are not happy with the alternate route you just refuse the install and the engineer will not proceed with the install of the  FTTP.

The green cabinet you refer to has nothing to do with FTTP. 

How is Full Fibre installed? | BT Help

What’s Involved in an Openreach FTTP Full-Fibre Broadband Installation? | Increase Broadband Speed

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks everyone for replies. Appreciated.
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Silly question, when you mentioned the "bt checker" what website/ tool are you talking about?

I'd like to find out how my property is fed, by DIG or via duct

Thanks

0 Ratings