cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

FULL FIBRE

I've been informed that i can get full fibre,i've seen the issues some are having getting this installed which has made me reluctant to do this.I've done the property check thing & it says that the duct is congested,which makes me see a possible problem.Could someone explain exactly how this installation is done.For instance i'm on fibre to the street cabinet & i believe they then take a copper cable to the property via the duct.So when they do full fibre do they disconnect the copper cable at the cabinet & join (connect) a fibre cable to the existing fibre cable in the cabinet & run it through the duct to the property.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: FULL FIBRE

Full fibre is nothing to do with the FTTC and those cabinets.

It's a different network infrastructure. The full fibre that enters your property will come from a Connectorised Block terminal and arrive either overhead or by a duct.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

It's fair to say you'll always see the problem installs reported.  The only install issue here was the in-wall conduit from the house build, but it contains a right angle junction the fibre won't go around (tried but it wasn't happening, same as some neighbours), so we still needed a hole drilling.  But the engineer was quick, tidy, and knowledgeable.  The only thing he got wrong being:  He must be in the habit of saying it could take a few hours to settle down and get upto speed - since it came on line at 930/103!

Other than blocked - brickie fitted conduit - I'm not aware of any neighbours having issues on fitting or getting FTTP working.  The same cannot be said for local xDSL connections!  

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

If the survey note states congested duct , it doesn’t guarantee the duct is blocked just the there is a suspicion it is ( for example if the property now has some sort of landscaping up-to or covering the duct mouth , like block paving then it’s prudent to use a two stage install ( and longer lead time ) , so  if the duct is blocked , the blockage can be located and dealt with , in some circumstances it may be the case the householder cancels the order once they know what required, for example if a driveway had to be excavated to get at the blockage and the householder didn’t want that upheaval, but it’s also possible the duct is fine and the optical cable can be installed without problem 

As stated the copper wiring isn’t involved, and in cases where an underground duct to the property exists, an optical cable is run alongside the existing copper cable in the existing duct , they shouldn’t use the copper cable as a ‘draw rope’ to pull the optical cable in, it should remain ( unused ) in the duct after the FTTP service is ‘live’ .

0 Ratings