I've noticed my download and upload speeds have been stuck at 450/10 again after posting a similar problem back in November and having it fixed back then. Speeds to the hub via the BT app show the full speeds of 900/110 but no matter how I test it with an ethernet cable to my PC it always comes back as around 450/10. I've tried leaving the hub on for weeks, tried resetting it, tried turning the ONT off and on and nothing has helped
What type of network adapter are you using? 480 is a common maximum speed for USB2 Ethernet adapters so it could be that your equipment is giving you a false reading
It just seems like too much of a coincidence that you're getting 480Mbps which just so happens to be the theoretical maximum data transfer rate of USB2.
Can you confirm that your machine is connected directly to your hub using just one RJ45 Ethernet cable and no intermediary devices
It seems somebody must have seen this post and turned off my throttling because I haven't touched a single thing since this post and all of a sudden I have the full speeds 🤔
This is a very old thread now and maybe completely irrelevant but I'll let you decide that.
Honestly where is this myth about throttling coming through, BT don't throttle your connection, I love how everything is always BT's fault. BT have no idea who or where you are from a post on here, lol