cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Fibre Install

Go to solution

Just had the engineer install our new fibre connection. Our house is a semi with the first floor sloped roof. Rather than trail the cable down the wall, he's installed a bracket and the cable is stretched at an angle from the top of the house to that bracket on the sloped roof. It looks horrific and I can't see anyone else on our street with an install like this. Is this normal? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre Install

Go to solution

Just for clarity, is it BT you are using as your provider or someone else ( Sky , Vodafone etc ) ? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

It was BT. Forgot to attach an image. You can see the line is connected well away from the wall.

20240429_110011.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
That doesn’t look great , there also is a dropwire to the left , is that also to your property ( No.72 ) or is it to a neighbour property ?
It seems odd that whoever installed that didn’t copy the existing copper dropwire route although that’s just laid over the tiles of the ‘porch’ roof .
https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yeah, it's our property. He said something about the sloped roof being an inconvenience with his ladders. Not once did he show me outside how it would look. Once done, he dashed in with his tablet, got my signature and left very quickly. Will complain to BT about this as whilst the landlord was completely fine with the upgrade, I don't imagine he'll be impressed with the cable dangling from his property. Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If the property has 2 fixings 1 in the middle ( the boundary with next door ) and one on the gable end on the left ( as you look from the road ) then if the middle one presented an issue with getting over the porch roof then presumably the attachment on the left could have been used and would have avoided that problem , but it would have been a longer cable run …was the installer an Openreach one or a contractor working for Openreach ? , contractors sometimes want to get the job done ASAP , as they are paid on completion, if a job takes a long time it reduces how much they can earn.

You can ( if you find the correct option ) call BT and complain they would need to get Openreach back out , or use the link provided to complain directly to OR .

BT didn’t actually install the wire , it was Openreach responsibility to do this work , however the CSP ( the grey box below the window ) doesn’t look like an Openreach one , I’ve heard they use a new smaller one , perhaps it’s that . 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Exactly my thoughts. 

He was a contractor from circet. Said something about needing to do it quick as the way he was installing it with the ladders wasn't "best practise". I'm assuming that's due to the sloped roof and the ladders not being flush to a wall when he was up it.

I'm not in the habit of complaining or dropping people in it, but this really felt like he took the quickest route to install. He told me before he left that I'd hardly notice it after a day or so and by the time I'd gone out to inspect it, he was gone. 

I've put a complaint through and will hopefully have an engineer out in the next week to fix. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I had contractors do my install, although they did a good job of the install the FTTP line had a fault on it and when I wanted to ask questions they made a quick exit, it was some 6 weeks before that fault was actually fixed. 

Seemed like the moment they were aware they couldnt solve the issue, which to be fair to them they couldnt, they raced off leaving me with the, "It cant take until 12am for your services to go live"....

I was moaning about it and in their defense someone said they have X amount of jobs to get done in X amount of time. Cant believe your guy said "you'll get used to it", I wouldnt be happy with that either. Wouldnt surprise me if health and safety stopped him from getting on that part of the roof.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings