cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Full Fibre Install

Go to solution

I have recently ordered Full Fibre 900, however as my home was built in late 70's the current copper line is a armoured cable buried with no external box or telecoms trunk. The fibre is on the pavement. 

My order is now down as delayed as they need to understand how to connect me to the network?

I have been told I need to have a DIG completed to have the fibre installed from the pavement into my house.

Can anyone help explain

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Full Fibre Install

Go to solution

If your area was correctly surveyed, then it would be known that your address is currently served with a D.I.G ( direct in ground ) copper pair armoured cable , when the area was made FTTP ready , a civils contractor  should have provided duct from a jointbox to a new toby box ( similar to those that the cable industry use ) usually placed in the footpath adjacent to your property,

If / when FTTP service is ordered you should get another individual survey, this time from the Openreach installation people , who should discuss how service will be delivered, this normally would be by digging a small trench from the toby box to your house wall , this needs permission from the householder who may have restrictions on how the trench is provided ( like avoiding shrubs/ landscaping etc) …the civils contractor are advised where the original surveyor wants the  toby box positioned, so as to provide the easiest install ( like opposite grass rather than a driveway for example ) but other services in the footpath could mean the toby box cannot be placed where the initial survey team wanted it.

If you agree to the excavation etc.  through your garden , then the order proceeds , in the unlikely case that you order service but then refuse permission to dig, then the order would be cancelled , if the reason is your refusal obviously there is no compensation etc,

Try putting your address details on the DSL checker 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If FTTP is available your address it should say something ‘UG feed to curtilage hard’ which signifies to the ISP that it’s a two stage install and they shouldn’t give a proper appointment for service , but an appointment for the survey, if the DSL checker states something else then the initial survey was incorrect 

…have you noticed a toby box installed near your home ?, usually there is one per property, but you can also have one toby box placed midway between the gardens of two property’s and that can serve both 

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

DIG is direct in ground, which is what you have now.

You will require a civils team to dig a trench to your property and install a duct for the fibre cable. Openreach (not BT) will arrange this.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. No initial survey as far as I am aware.  Circet did the initial install on pavement so suspect this might be close by in one of the new burried manholes that were recently installed? All I have is new bleue plastic tally stamped into pavment. 

I checked this, see below. Looks like I also just need to wait as on strike today?

kiffuslynne_0-1659354029699.png

kiffuslynne_1-1659354136571.png

kiffuslynne_2-1659354170983.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

The initial survey will have been done , just you didn’t witness it ( otherwise the survey note about  pre built to curtilage hard wouldn’t exist ) , it’s not much more than an OR surveyor in your street for a few hours checking out what exists and what needs to be added, as already stated from the new access point in the pavement,  a trench needs to be excavated to your house wall , this enables an optical cable to be provided between the house wall through this new pavement access to a footway jointbox that houses the CBT (  connectorised block terminal ) ,that your new cable connects to.

If you haven’t had your individual installer survey yet, then presumably at some point you will get one, where they will discuss the route the cable needs to take from the pavement access point to your house wall, they may even start that work straight away on the garden excavation and preparatory work etc, then a proper appointment is made for the installation of the ONT inside your home, the idea being that they know the job is good to go before you get a contractual date for service.

0 Ratings