cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Full fibre installation

Go to solution

If I had not asked BT when I placed the order, if they can fit it near to my PC, one room away from the entry point, I might agree. But I did ask and they told me that the installer would be able to install "any" extra cables that were needed to get me up and running. I asked BT, because a girl next door works for openreach and she pretty much told me the same as what you are saying. If they had told me they can't fit it as I want it, I wouldn't have ordered it. I'm only expecting what I was told I could have, nothing more.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution
The analoge phone system runs on copper cables, does it not? And that network will be switched off for all phone providers by 2025, Nobody will be able to have a new installation on the old system so as far as phone systems are concerned copper is dissapearing. As far as the Ethernet cabling goes, I was told when I ordered that all addition cables would be provided to get me up and running.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

Cables to get you up and running come with the SH2 but that assumes your hub is positioned near the entry point where the ONT is situated.  Just as person next door who works for openreach said

FTTC will still be available even when the PSTN phone service is turned off end 2025

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution
No, cables to get me up and running should be just that, I told them the router was not near the entry point. I am giving up on this conversation , we will see what happens at the next appointment . If I have to supply and fit my own ethernet cable that is what I will have to do. But when I asked the question as to the fitting of the service, I expected them to tell me what I could and couldn't have. It seems that the answers on here and my neighbour say otherwise. Thanks for clearing up the FTTC thing. I got mixed up a bit with that one.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

I can assure you Openreach won't provide any Ethernet cabling other than a short patch lead. They won't have the wherewithal to do so. BT should not have told you that they would.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

Yeah, a Standard Installation won’t allow for any CAT5e Extension Sockets.

A premium allows up for up to 3 X 30m Data Extension Sockets, if I remember rightly or unless they’ve changed things lately.

Unlike WLR3 Orders Openreach can’t put on additional TRC Banding so most likely won’t do it on request.

Your best hope is you get an Openreach Engineer who won’t mind bending rules a bit or ask BT/EE to change it from a Standard to Premium Install, although they may charge extra for that.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Yes I was told it was a premium installation and as I will be switching to digital voice, "all "extra cabling needed would be provided. This is why I was dissapointed when the installer came and said he couldn't do it. He was an Openreach subcontractor for a company  I had never heard of. He described himself as cheap labour.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

This is the first time you have mentioned that you have paid for a Premium installation.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

does your order in MYBT show premium install as it is unusual and even more unusual would be a premium install free.  Time will tell when next fitter turns up

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution
Unfortunately not, it was just verbal, I don't mind paying, I just want what I was told I could have nothing more. I have been in touch again and the guy was on about plug in powerline adaptors, don't want those, just a 12 m ethernet cable to an RJ45 socket near my PC. And a plug in DV adapter for my phone. Yes time will tell, if it fails this time I'll just buy a long Cat6 ethernet patch cable and run it in myself.
0 Ratings