cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Re: BT Broadband Speed below Minimum Guaranteed

We've had problems for years with the broadband dropping out; and have been told by BT that it is network congestion at the exchange. In the hope that a hybrid would cover the problem we went with that. BUT the router apparently stays connected to the exchange but very slow; 50k errors (where 10k is the max permissible, I've been told) so the hybrid does not see a broadband failure and does not engage. Both router and hybrid have been changed to no effect.

When the system is ok the performance is entirely acceptable but we certainly do not have an "uninterruptable" link as promised -so far today it has gone down twice, yesterday 6 times or so - I have independent evidence of this.

We have an active dispute running on this. As advised by "Which"

Any ideas, please?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

I have moved your post to start a new thread to avoid confusion with replies.

If your broadband is dropping out it is nothing to do with congestion as that just causes download speed to slow down, neither are errors a symptom of congestion. You clearly have a line fault that hasn't been fully investigated and fixed.

Is there any noise on your line with a quiet line test,17070 option 2?

Message 3 of 27

Thanks for the reply.

BT have repeatedly advised that the problem is at the exchange and that the line and our end are all OK

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

To continue

BT say that the broadband is effectively so slow that connecting equipment sees it as dead apart from the hybrid and router which see the line as active

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

I repeat, if your line is actually dropping connection entirely it is not congestion. Did you try the quiet line test? Can you post a screenshot of your Hub's line stats?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

17070 option 2

nothing at all heard

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

as @licquorice  posted if you router is dropping connect (light changing from blue) then there is a line problem and first thing to check is quiet line test

edit   so quiet line test silent just dial tone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

bmshotvp_1-1655046482683.png

Hope that is what you wanted?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

I'll try that and reply later; as I said both router and hybrid stay blue while desktop/tv/and voip phones dropout. As I understand it the error rate at the exchange are so high that other equipment times out This is a transitory situation which is cancelled by rebooting the hub. BT have repeatedly said it is congestion,,,,
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Can you post the screen at Advanced Settings> Technical log> information.

Error rate refers to line errors not exchange problems.

0 Ratings