cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 49

Re: much slower quoted speed than neighbours - cabinet full ?

Go to solution

This is the technical log. Not sure what this means. Appreciate any insight. 

Looking for similar posts, is it a DLM banding issue? (Not even sure what that means).

We have an old British telecom grey box on our outside wall, with a wire coming indoors into master socket. Hub is linked directly into master socket (a fairly old one with single plug). The master socket also has 2 wires going to other rooms which may be causing a bridge tap within the property perhaps? 

Thanks

1000014253.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 49

Go to solution

Well the first screen shot you posted said you're on on VDSL & the DSL checker reckoned that around 30Mb. But that also said FTTC was unavailable so a bit confused. But then the upload speed of nearly 2.9Mb is higher than anything ADSL can manage IIRC.

I think I'd be inclined to remove the faceplate of the master socket & see if there's test socket behind it. Plugging directly into that should remove any internal wiring from the equation.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 49

Go to solution

Yes its a good ADSL but a bad VDSL.  There is no socket behind the master socket, but it is old, so maybe the engineer will change it. 

Any comments from anyone else will be helpful. Otherwise shall update after the engineer visit.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 49

Go to solution

If it's that old it may well still have the bell/ring wiring. But probably best to leave for the visit tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 49

Go to solution

1000014261.jpg

1000014260.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 49

Go to solution

G993_2 is VDSL

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 49

Go to solution

I suspect you have a line fault where 1 wire of your pair is disconnected. If you had an analogue phone service you would be able to check as you wouldn't get dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 49

Go to solution

Oh thanks for the insight. We haven't connected a phone to it (will have to dig one out). It's a sogea VoIP number so I was wondering how to connect a phone in the first place. Is the fault likely to be in home wiring/socket or at the exchange? 

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 49

Go to solution

It could be anywhere if that is the cause of the problem.

Presumably you have a third party VoIP service as SOGEA doesn't have a telephony capability. In any case, it won't prove anything, it is only an analogue service that won't work with one wire disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 49

Go to solution

I do have digital phone service from BT, they included a phone number when the home move service went active.  But I can't figure out where to connect the phone...

0 Ratings