cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: ADSL switched off by BT in error

Not sure if I feel better that it's not just me or even angrier that they keep making the same stupid mistake.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

If you still have a copper connection, and as ADSL comes from the exchange, it should be an easy job for BT to re-activate it, as its just a software controlled element. Its unlikely to have been physically disconnected at the exchange, as cease tasks like that, have a very low priority.

The problem is, there is probably no robotic process to do that, and it would involve some form of manual intervention.

It possible that a moderator may be able to arrange this.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 26

Thank you Keith. That is infuriating. I pleaded with Customer Services to reinstate the ADSL line. She was adamant that it was too complicated and couldn’t be done.
Nearly 7 weeks now with no viable broadband or landline.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

@FloFosterJenkins 

I was referring to @Thodge  situation, but I am surprised that you are in the same situation.

Its important to be clear about the original connection. People do get confused between ADSL and VDSL (FTTC), and call a VDSL connection an ADSL one, which is not correct.

ADSL comes from the exchange on a continuous copper connection via a normal cabinet, but occasionally direct from the exchange  "EO Exchange only".

The exchange end is usually connected to an MSAN, as I do not think many DSLAM`s are still in use.

These are remotely programmed during the provision process. All that has probably happened is that the configuration has been deleted.  A manual re-build of the port should be possible, but whether there is a process to do that, I do not know. If ADSL is simply shown as restricted, then it should be possible.

As it appears its a BT error (disconnected in error) then I would have thought they would be keen to get it working again, do avoid a lot of compensation.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/automatic-compensation

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

The inability to rectify a mistake is unfortunately a common theme on these forums. Although there is supposedly a secret team/process who should be able to deal with this. I can't remember what it was called. @iniltous?

It also seems inconceivable that someone has designed a process that blindly allows the switching off of an existing service before verifying that the replacement is up & running. Even more shocking that after literally years of this being an issue, no one has taken steps to correct it.

I guess we should be just be grateful they're not heart surgeons...

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

Hi @Thodge

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for your posts!

I am sorry for the problems with your Full Fibre order and that your existing services have been disconnected.  I see you have mentioned you have been in touch with an executive complaints handler.  This is the highest complaint level within BT and they'll manage your complaint through to resolution.  Did my colleague inform you what the next steps are and agree the next follow up date?

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

There is a stop sell exception process on the Openreach site but a ‘log in’ is required to access it ( so not for public consumption ) , TBH , I recall seeing an outline process for restoring service in a stop sell area , the scenario was where FTTP ordered but excess construction charges were necessary , the consumer was unwilling to pay the  ECC’s , but the stop sell hindered the restoration of the ‘copper pair’ service , but this was while ago.

In the OP case , if the cease of the ADSL/FTTC were linked to the successful completion of the FTTP installation, then if the ADSL/FTTC was ‘lost’ , presumably the OR tech ( or contractor working for OR ) in error closed the provision as successful when it wasn’t successful , this type of human error cannot really be legislated for, or the ADSL/FTTC cessation and FTTP provision orders were not linked , basically the two orders were separate, a delay in the FTTP provision doesn’t change the date on the ADSL/FTTC cease , that still goes ahead on the date selected…it’s not clear what was done in the OP  case , although it’s difficult to imagine the FTTP order being closed as successful when some items such as the lack  of ONT authentication you would imagine should  stop any ‘false’ attempt at order closure , so baring any physical error ( recovering the copper cable ) I think unlinked orders are the most probable cause.

TBH , that all a bit moot, the OP is where they are …and although it may seem ‘simple’ to switch back on the ADSL/FTTC service that was switched off , as with many things , it’s not as straightforward as you would imagine , and as the executive level complaints are involved, that’s the path forward for the OP .

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

Thanks, all, for your informed comments. Keith, I think that you are right -  I was wrong about ADSL; ours was FTTC.

Hoping that the 4th attempt on Thursday 8-1 is successful.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

Hi Robbie.  The executive complaint handling process is hopelessly inadequate, and if it is the "highest level" available, then they need to look seriously at their escalation procedures.  The latest I can see looking at my complaint is to expect a call on the 14th.  No idea what, if anything, is happening between now and then, and my connection was cut on the 29th.   I was called at the shops on the 10th by a very helpful guy who was all ready to schedule my installation until I told him I had no FTTP to the house as it had not been installed and the fibre connection stopped at the end of my driveway, at which point he seemed surprised that Openreach thought it was in place and said he would need to have a "text chat" with openreach and would get back to me this morning.  He didn't.

I find it inconceivable that nobody in BT has the wit to simply turn my ADSL back on while they scratch their heads and decide what to do with FTTP, after all, this was *entirely* their error.  And my rage is growing by the day.  Worst "service" I have ever encountered in my life.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

Hi @Thodge,

When you were in touch with the ECR team, did they give you a way of contacting them or did you have an email chain with them that you can reply back on?

They should be able to tell you why they've changed the call to the 14th instead of the 13th. If not, let me know, please.

I'm sorry that we haven't been able to get this sorted for you yet.

Thank you

DanielS

0 Ratings