cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Home Essentials package

Go to solution

OK where do I start, firstly I been with bt for 10 years and never asked for help with my bill until this last week and to be honest I wish I'd never bothered because of the stress and anxiety it has caused me, because of covid and the cost of living rise I was advised by a debt charity to apply for the bt essential package which I did and the package was refused because I'm not the benefit claimant, my partner is the benefits claimant and she claims for me, as the law stands there can only be one claimant if you are a couple, and because we are on legacy benefits still and I'm disabled my partner claims for both of us, even though she claims for me I'm not classed as a claimant of a qualifying benefit, I rang the DWP and explained to them the problems I'm having with bt home Essentials package and they were understanding to the point they sent out an official government letter stating that my partner was claiming the required benefits for my self included in the letter are our national insurance numbers which bt uses to verify elegibility for the home essentials package, but guess what? This official letter wasn't suitable and I was back at the beginning trying to get help with my bills, I was then put thru to a manager for help and Wow what a rude and unhelpful arrogant person he was and he was not offering me any help at all stating I signed the contract for 2 years for broadband services, and by the way I felt like I was pushed into the contract to keep my prices low and if I didn't take the new contract my prices would go up, even though I have been a customer for 10 years and seen many contracts out with bt, I also asked to add my partner onto the bt account and was told it would cost me £800 pound to clear the contract and setup a new account in both our names which basically defeats the idea of asking for help, so the moral of the story is bt are offering the help but if you're a couple and you're partner is the benefit claimant and not on the account you're stuffed as no help at all was offered even though we are struggling with debt, and because we can not claim benefits individually by law bt are discriminating against disabled people that can not claim benefits in their own right, because of all the hassle with bt we are now being pushed into a debt relief order to get some form of help, which is a route I do not want to take, so I would like to thank bt for being so unsupportive towards a customer who is asking for help.

I will also be following this matter up with ofcom as well due to the nature of this issue. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Essentials package

Go to solution

Hi @StephenJ123  I can see your frustration and sympathise, the BT account has to be in the same name that any benefits are claimed by, as your partner is claimaint and you're the BT account holder the checker says no, it's not a process that can be pushed through.

What I can do is ask a moderator to see if they can help, the mod team are BT employees and have a great track record, sit tight for now and see what can be done, try not to let it worry you 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for a prompt reply much appreciated I wouldn't be asking for help if we were not struggling like thousands of others are due to covid and cost of living increase. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @StephenJ123 I'm sorry you didn't get the assistance you needed when you spoke with customer services, I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, did you get any help with this? I’m in the exact same position as yourself and find it ridiculous I can’t claim the Essentials package because my partner is the Universal Credit claimant and the BT account is in my name. I’m also in contract until August so they told me I can’t cancel my account and start one in my partners name to claim either so I’m stuck on a more expensive package!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi I received help to clear my contract and transferred it to my partners name, a moderator sent me a private message and I forwarded my details to them and they have removed the contract terms for my account, so to be honest I was well pleased with the help and support I received thru this forum as its all sorted now and changed over to my partner, I think it's wrong how they determine who can have the essentials package especially when only one of a couple can claim legacy benefits by law, especially when you know you are on the benefits in your partners name, good luck I hope you can get someone to help you remove your contract terms, there is help available if you get the right person to help you, I had lots of calls with arrogant managers and staff before I came on here for help. 

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
That’s great to hear they resolved it for you! Hopefully I’ll get someone as helpful. Thanks for your time and for replying
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @StephenJ123 and thanks for posting.

I'm glad we were able to help get this sorted for you, thanks for letting us know.

@cratterbury We might be able to do something similar for you but we'll need to take a closer look first. I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
They also refused to help me and sent me a deadlock letter confirming that they will not help.
Thanks a lot for your dedication to help vulnerable customers!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@brookes 

your complaint was taken to ELC who have looked into your case and as no agreement reached  BT are issuing you with deadlock letter

it was not mods who did not help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.