cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Return of Router

Go to solution

My elderly mother was the bill payer for a BT Broadband account which was set up by my brother who is no longer resident at the property.

My mother migrated to a new provider and the switchover was completed and became active yesterday.

The new router came without a cable for the phone to the microfilter so the old BT cable is still in use.

I can of course purchase a new one, but wondered if the cables had to be returned with the router in order to avoid any financial charges for not returning all the "kit"?

I was a bit blindsided by the whole thing, as the returns bag didn't arrive until the day after my service switched, and the neighbour who set it up for me said it would be normal to throw the old one out!

Glad I didn't do that, but I bet there are a lot of customers who are confused by the new policy as I had never heard of it till the day after I switched provider when the "returns" bag arrived.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Return of Router

Go to solution

Just keep the cable. You will not be asked for it to be returned.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@fionahair 

I cannot imagine that would be an issue, as long as the home hub and power supply are included. If BT send them as replacements, then people would use the cable from their old home hub, if needed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

That does seem highly likely as almost everyone I know who gets a router uses their old cables anyway and I'm not even sure these ones are the ones from BT.

If I can get the confirmed for sure by a BT rep it would be reassuring, as I've been unable to contact them on their live chat which has said Chat is Busy checking availability for an hour, so I found this support forum.

I don't currently have a working landline as I removed the cable and had to get a neighbour to wire the new router for me in the first place.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Everyone I know does that, as in typically just plugs the old cables in to a new router.

My mother has a medical need for a landline, which is the only reason we still have one, and if BT need that cable returned I'll have to wait until I purchase a new one online before returning their router, power lead and microfilter with both cables.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I doubt if BT even know if they sent you a cable or not. They frequently send out hubs without cables. 

I have no doubt that a BT rep would not have a clue about whether or not the cable should be returned. 

It would cost more in postage than the cable is worth.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
That is reassuring, as my new router actually came exactly like that, with only one grey cable, and no black one. I was a bit surprised, but I suppose a lot more people don't have or use landlines these days.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @fionahair, the CL's are correct and there is no need to return the leads when you need them for the new router.

Cheers

John