cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: XBox Ultimate Gaming Add On SCAM

@Flibbidyjib  - sorry to hear about your unwanted Christmas present!

I wouldn't assume this is the work of hackers.

Twice now I've had an XBox Ultimate Game Pass added to my account and on each occasion multiple people at BT have said it was BT's error.

Unfortunately beyond that, no-one at BT seems to know how, where, when or why the 'BT errors' occurred - nor do they seem to know exactly what the error is, let alone how to resolve it. 

Maybe hacking would have been better - at least with hackers you know where you stand.  🙂

For info:

(1) I have never used an xbox;

(2) I have never had a BT product (or any product) that included a free xbox subscription;

(3) I have a strong password and 2-factor-authentication on my BT account.

(4) On the first occasion, BT switched off the recurring/auto renewal feature as you did, but 3 days after that date the subscription was set up again. Beware.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

I spoke to BT in a nutshell they didn’t want to know.  I escalated to problem to complain level and higher complaint but both were closed saying don’t worry you won’t be charged and it’s an internal problem we will look into.  I wanted it logged on my account in case it happens again, which frankly I think it will!! 

I too have never had any “extras” on my account! and don’t even own an XBox.  We will wait and see what happens.  It stressed me out and caused unnecessary anxiety that I don’t need, especially at this time of year…….we will see what happens now……

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

After me thinking this problem was solved today my bill was issued and guess what! The £10 was on there as a charge! Grrr

Back on the phone/live chat and they’ve assured me it will be re-credited within 24hrs and that internally BT are looking into it. 

Interestingly I got through on the phone at same time and the guy in sales told me he thinks it’s an internal BT charging error that’s accidentally getting added to peoples account!! He then tried to sell me a new contract and link my mobiles too - I don’t think so fella not tonight mate! The Indian call centre sorted my concerns quicker than his upsell. I really do hope this will be the end of it now. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

@Flibbidyjib - good luck in trying to put this to bed! I'm still trying to do so.

On the second occasion when the subscription was added in error I was assured by BT call centre that I would not be charged as, this time, they had ensured the charge was deleted well in advance of the bill being produced.

I had my doubts, and it was no surprise when - like you - the bill came through with a £10 charge for the erroneous subscription!

A moderator has picked this up and tells me this will be reversed.

Meantime, 'BT security' turned off access to my account until I had set up yet another new password and set up two-factor-authentication for a second time! BT. Claws. Clutching. 

Here is another thread I posted to with a similar subscription problem:https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Xbox-game-pass/m-p/2337357#M163788

p.s. Coincidentally, or perhaps not - and like you - when I first reported the issue on 27/11/23 the agent (aka 'Guide') Ben, similarly tried to inappropriately flog me stuff. There's a time and a place, and this was neither, but perhaps his incentives for selling exceed his desire to resolve issues and provide customer service? 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Just had the same happen today. Notification about signing up for a subscription even though I have not signed up.

Do we just cancel and ring customer service?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

@Ashley - there is no option to 'cancel' as such. Also, the subscription will continue to run for a month after it was first set up. The best you can do yourself is sign into your account, find the offending subscription under Your Products (entertainment section) and set the auto-renewaI to OFF. You'll then get an automatic email confirming your action and - wait for it - the option to opt back in! Even then you can't guarantee  that it won't be 'renewed' again anyway, as happened to me.

You could also change your Password and set up two-factor authentication if you haven't already done this. This is the advice of moderators on this forum - perhaps there has been a data breach given so many of us are affected? My experience so far is that making these changes actually makes no difference. Furthermore, many at BT are saying it is a BT error, but when pressed no-one has (or can) tell me where, what, why, when, how etc.

The more of us that flag this up the better. I suggest you call Customer Service to flag it up, and get them to deal with the offending description. Don't accept that you won't be charged - as you probably will - so make sure that (as a minimum) they give you a credit to reverse the charge.

Ask BT why and how it happened and what will be done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Post the response here if you feel comfortable doing so.  There is much variability in what customers are being told, so it will be interesting to see what you are told. I've certainly found agents giving out inconsistent messages  and guessing on this and making false promises, as opposed to helping customers with a consistent transparent and honest message. 

A moderator on this forum continues to look at my case - and has listened to my calls and the inconsistent and conflicting messages given to me. I'll post an update when I get it. 

Good luck!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

well you can ring or live chat I did both and they told me I wouldn’t be charged but was on next bill - so def keep an eye on your account.  Log in and turn off the auto renew immediately and also change your password and switch on two factor authentication- welcome to the unlucky gang! 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

same thing has happend to me got an email yesterday and checked my bt it told me to change password and i did and shows this on products ,  i didnt add or buy gamerpass  so confused to why its on my acccount

02hudsond2_0-1704648208238.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Hi @Flibbidyjib @02hudsond2 and @ash1ey and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're all having the xbox problem. I can help. Please check y9our inbox for my message and drop me over a reply with your details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

@DavidM  - do you/BT know WHY this erroneous xbox subscription charging is happening please?

It's one thing offering help to customers individually to deal with the EFFECT, and this is appreciated, but so far any help I've received from BT has not addressed the CAUSE or prevented the same issue from reoccurring. Also, actions such as changing password and setting up 2FA - which I've now done twice over a period of 2 months - have made no difference for me.

The issue seems widespread. So, for the benefit of all affected customers on this forum - and probably those soon to experience the problem - can you please outline what is actually known so far regarding this mischarging and what exactly is being done by BT and/or its partners to address the cause once and for all please?