cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Can't uninstall McAfee

Go to solution

I have been trying to uninstall McAfee from BT so that I can install Norton as told by BT.

I have tried several times to uninstall it using Control Panel without success, and I have also tried the McAfee uninstall tool. This starts the process but the stalls at 'uninstalling MFP'.

Any suggestions please?

Steve P

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can't uninstall McAfee

Go to solution

Have you tried "restarting" not shutting down and starting, your computer and trying to uninstall again and/or running the McAfee MCPR tool?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks for answering.
I have tried as you suggested several times including the MCPR tool.
Steve P
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

When remnants remain, they can conflict with the new Security Software install.
Try searching in Windows Explorer for McAfee, for stuff that lingers.

BE SAFE OUT THERE !BE SAFE OUT THERE !

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I don't use McAfee so I can not check if the following is possible on McAfee but most AV programs have something similar.

Presumably McAfee is still on your computer and it is still working?

If it is, go into McAfee settings and see if there is a "Self Protect" mode/setting which you may be selected in order to stop any changes being made to compromise/uninstall McAfee. If there is make sure it is turned off. This may require a password to be entered.

If you have uninstalled it but there are remnants of McAfee left behind that is stopping Norton from installing, download and run CCleaner. It is a safe program.

Run the Custom clean and the registry cleaner and when asked if you want to back up before deleting select Yes so that it can be restored in the very unlikely event that there is an issue.

I would strongly suggest that unless you are a very competent computer user you do not delve into the registry without knowing fully what you are doing. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

When you say the McAfee removal tool stalls, how long did you leave it? On mine, which has an SSD, it took around 20 minutes to find and remove everything.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for all the answers/suggestions.

I've tried the Control Panel option again, but no success.

Control Panel.jpg

I've tried the McAfee option again, but it stops at Removing product MFP. I've left it now for nearly 5 hours and the green bar hasn't moved.

Steve P

MFP.jpg

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @paynes1 

Sorry for the problems removing the McAfee software.  Can you try the solution on the link that @_dreamer_ posted above and let us know if that sorts things out for you?

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I ended up using one of the methods _dreamer_ suggested from the McAfee site below:

1. Rebooted in safe mode
  2. Deleted all McAfee folders in program files and program files X86, (and Program Data),
  3. Ran the Removal tool. (didn't seem to finish)
  4. Rebooted to normal,
  5. Ran the reboot tool.(Don't know what that is)
  6. Rebooted

A couple of McAfee folders/files were difficult to delete but managed it. The MCPR 'green bar' went further this time but stopped at about 3/4. Left it for a few hours then restarted the pc.

The McAfee item has finally gone from the list in Control Panel, and when I searched for McAfee on the C: drive nothing came up so I'm guessing all have been deleted.

Norton is now installed via my BT. Waiting to see how this performs, I used Norton many years ago but stopped because I found that it slowed my PC down significantly. This was ages ago so I'm sure it has improved....

Thanks

Steve P