cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

BT Email access when abroad

I spend long periods abroad in Asia, and since CoVid 19 lockdowns, when travel re-started I now find that when I am in Asian destinations I cannot access either my BT Account (for bills) or use BT Email -, either directly thru BT Webmail or using client programmes such as Outlook and Samsung Mail (on mobile). It would seem as if BT main some changes to security protocols as since 2021 whenever I am abroad and trying to check BT emails, within a day or so of arrival I am LOCKED OUT of all BT services with a screen message = "Suspicious Activity". Why is this happening? And how can I maintain constant access to BT Account & Email services whilst aboard???

(I've lodged frequent complaints to BT, without any resolutions, and am invariably cut off from all BT Access whilst in Asian countries until returning to UK, and logging in with NEW Passwords. When I tried to log in with new password abroad, I just get cut off again for "Suspicious Activity" within a short time, e.g a matter of minutes as I try to collect/download emails).

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: BT Email access when abroad

AFAIK there isn't any restrictions whilst abroad.

Perhaps one of the Mods can look into this?

Roger

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Not a solution but the following could be a usable work around:-  Get a Gmail account and set up forwarding from your BTMail account to it before you leave the UK.

Message 4 of 36

I have all my BT email addresses set to auto forward to a Hotmail address. But this forwarding stops/fails soon as I'm blocked from account access for the "Suspicions Activity". Computer geek friends of mine suggest the problem maybe arises because I'm logging on 24/7 thru hotel wifi systems, and polling for emails using Outlook every 30 mins - and BT doesn't like the foreign IP links
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

I still have no solution to the problem (or explanation from the BT Tekkies who've communicated with me) as to why when I'm abroad in Asia (as I am every alternate month) I get blocked out of my BT Account (Can't even check bills) and my BT Email for so called "Suspicious Activity". As indicated if I follow the process to get back in by creating new password, I then just get blocked again within very short time. Can this relate to me using Outlook to download email to laptop? And I also download all email to thee Android phone. Everything works perfectly when I'm back herein UK, and even when I'm out and about in cafes, whatever, here. The blocking only occurs when  I'm abroad and using hotel wifi systems or other public wife systems.

Does BT not have any responders on this forum? I have had direct BT responders previously log in an d control my laptop here, and they've actually seen the blocking messages, but so far never given me a solution. Meantime, of course, I'm paying for BT Emails monthly when half the time cannot get them (as even the Email forwarding ceases son as the Account is blocked!!!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

The problem is probably because most if not all public IP addresses, hotels public wifi included will be on a blacklist.

Have you considered using a VPN on your devices and setting it to access a UK server. Most VPN sites offer a trial period so you could try before you buy the next time you are abroad.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

Yes, I had been using Nord VPN in the past, set to UK. BUT when BT Tekkie (Wayne from somewhere up North) accessed my laptop after my return from Asia, first time I had this blockage when travel re-started after Covid Lockdowns, he advised to remove NORD VPN as BT system did not like VPNs and would respond to the jump around IP addresses as suspicious activity. So, then I stopped using NORD either when in UK or when Abroad. Also I have Norton VPN, but that didn't solve the problem. So, I also do assume that BT just does not like their sites being accessed from non-UK public wifi systems. But I cannot be the only BT subscriber with this issue, as a frequent traveler to foreign destinations. Surely BT should be open to advise exactly the cause of the problem, and possible resolution.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

I travel abroad frequently as do many of my family and friends and none have had any problems with BTMail while abroad.

BT do not block foreign IP addresses on masse.  BT have over 9 million broadband customers and no doubt the vast majority use BTMail and I would suspect many of them go on foreign holidays so if BT was blocking their email when abroad I would expect to see many more complaints on the forum and else where.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. However if you have already been in contact with the BTMail team I doubt there will be much more that they can do. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

17 Oct 2023

I am just now researching my records to see when I first encountered this blocking problem. Prior to Covid Lockdown, no issues. My first trip post Covid was from 17 June to 31 July 2022. (Vietnam & Malaysia). And then I was blocked from BT Access (using Oulook on laptop &Samsung Mail on 2 phones) from couple days after arrival at Vietnam. When I tried to gain access BT required me to go thru process of identification and creating new password - but soon after doing that, I was again blocked. I returned to London 31 July, but was then in contact with BT Executive Resolutions (Wayne Long) multiple times in early August as I remained blocked from BT Accounts. I kept the text message thread from 16 - 20 August - multiple phone conversations, several text messages (i have problem BT reference numbers), and couple of times accessing and taking over my laptop seeking solutions. Wayne Long considered NORD VPN was a problem factor, and he disabled it on my laptop. He commented that he thought a possible factor was that my access to BT within Asia was showing hundreds of different IP addresses.  And he managed (somehow) to get into my BT Acount, and then set up new Passwords on my Laptop for my several BT email addresses. Then of course all worked will until my next trip (Dec 20223 to Jan 2023) - when all the same issues/problems arose within couple of days of my arrivals in Asia. In 2023 I've already made 4 x6 week trips to Asian places, and on every trip I get blocked from accessing my BT Account and my BT emails, both from BT Web Mail and thru Outlook and Samsung Mail  (for "Suspicious Activity") shortly after arrival at my first destination, and that carries over to other destinations.  If I try to resolve by clicking "Forgot Password" to gain a link to set new password, then if I manage to gain access into BT, it only last a short time until I'm blocked again if laptop is closed, turned off, hibernated, whatever. (And my 2 mobiles are never turned off but also lose access simultaneously! The problem is a mystery to me. I am not a computer geek. But I've been a business and personal computer user since the very first Alan Sugar Amstrad 8256 about 1985!!! And as I keep saying, nothing in my travel programme has changed in 20 years - always 4x 6 week trips, same destinations, same hotels, and so on. And first problem arose on first post Covid trip June-July 2022. Did BT do anything that might have changed their security protocols or algorithms during the 2 years of Covid?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

Hi @Globalist, sorry you're having this issue when abroad. I think that this is not solely due to your travel as some of the community have already said. 
If this happens again the best option would be to post back on the forum and we'll be happy to get the email experts review your email account.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings