cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Digital Voice

Go to solution

Digital Voice - I am wondering if you attach two telphones to one Adapter will both ring? The telephones would have a REN =1 and only one would be answered. I think the answer depends on the REN value the adapters can handle

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Digital Voice

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Why not try it and see.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
There is a risk of overloading and not working at all. I was hoping someone else had tried it before.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

What risk of overloading?

It will either work or it won't, there's no possibility of causing any damage.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I was an apprentice at the time, but REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) numbers came into existence when PO Telephones first allowed people to connect their own devices to the network - part of the introduction of sockets (circa late '70s early 80's), rather than hard wired phones. Phones back then had a bell set and associated coils to operate it, and the the bell circuit was wired in series, whereas phones are in parallel. Due to the current drain of the bell sets, it was determined that a max of 4 (I think) was all that was permitted, due to the power drop in each bell set.

Modern devices do not use the bell circuit - they just sense the incoming ringing current, then electronically make a ringing noise, so then REN number is now totally superfluous and you can have as many devices connected as you like.

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Interesting. I have a BT Relate 80 Handset. I have kept this phone as it was hard wired to my old telephone line for use and maintaining a connection when mains power fails. It does have a REN value of 1. I have now connected three phones to one Digital Voice adapter (including the Relate 80) and all work OK.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

It will be fine - the port on the back of the Hub has the same REN capacity as an old master socket (4). People have already tested it working with multiple phones.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

If only the Guides  had told me that I could have avoided buying additional adapters

0 Ratings