cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 30

Re: New webmail release 2.20.2

@gg30340wrote:

I am not defensive of it. I happen to agree that it should be available in the event of an electrical outage but I don' t agree with your over the top blame shifting!

The reason that you think I am 'over the top', is that 3 months ago my elderly mum took a stroke. Luckily I was with her, and luckily, we had 'power'. I called 999 via her landline where the operator immediately identified the address. Despite having a mobile, and it being on EE (which markets themselves has being the widest UK coverage), in rural areas there are huge black holes, and it only works if it can access the router, which needs power!

I have personal experience of needing this BT lifeline, and just dread to think of what would happen when it is no longer available...

Message 12 of 30

I have moved these posts off the Webmail thread and to the landline/digital voice section of the community as they are off-topic and not related to webmail. I would also like to remind everyone to keep it friendly and on topic when posting.

Thanks

Neil

Message 13 of 30

If your electricity company provided a proper service you wouldn't need to be "lucky" about when you have power!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 30

@gg30340wrote:

If your electricity company provided a proper service you wouldn't need to be "lucky" about when you have power!

Indeed, and if you were in a sinking boat, you would need the services of the RNLI. I'm really not sure what point you are trying desperately to make LOL

Message 15 of 30

I am not trying to desperately make any point. I have already stated my position.

It is you who would appear desperate to make a point and blame BT if somebody loses their life during a power outage in an area that you have said has a poor electrical service to the extent that you quoted that the power was out for six hours in a recent incident all of which is nothing to do with BT or any other telephone service provider.

If the power was fit for service you would not have power outages and therefor your phone/router would be working just in the same way that if what ever caused your mythical boat to sink did not happen you would not need the RNLI.

The old system is being done away with and the digital system is coming, along with a battery backup, and this thread is going nowhere so I will leave you to it.

Hopefully your mother is making a good recovery. 

Message 16 of 30

@gg30340wrote:

Hopefully your mother is making a good recovery. 

I appreciate your good wishes, thankfully, due to the excellent NHS, she is...

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 30

That's not 'blame shifting' at all!! Right now BT offer an exemplary service in that during a power outage, you still have full access to a telephone landline. BT are shortly withdrawing that service. Out of interest, who would you 'blame'?

BT obviously, because once they withdraw this service, it WILL cost lives.

My 91 year old mother doesn't have internet in her village & if she has a power outage, she calls me to come round & set up her bottled gas heaters.

If I have a power outage at the same time, I'll no longer receive her call & if she subsequently suffers from hypothermia, it'll be 100% BT to blame.

Pretty much all your posts appear to be defending the indefensible "service" provided by BT...

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 30

If the planet stopped producing extreme weather, way beyond the norm...
Meanwhile, BT is going to supply (or not...) a poorer service which WILL lead to deaths.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 30

There have been a few threads along these lines but surely you are all missing the obvious. What happens when a car takes out a cabinet, telegraph pole or there's equipment failure in the exchange? Customers lose their service, it gets reported and then repaired. 

I think that it's naive to think that phone line failures don't exist on the current system, it's very much a question of probability as to whether any failure has any consequences.

I would have expected BT and the other operators to have collated data from the power distributors to identify areas that suffer from regular outages, such as some parts of Scotland, and to then switch these last.

About 6 years ago I lost my phone and internet for 24 hours when Openreach were working on a fault on a line for a house around the corner, the engineer got into a pickle, unplugged my line and went home. I've had DV for 2.5 years and I've had one small power outage lasting a few minutes. So neither system is perfect and I could easily say that I've had a better, more reliable service with DV.

Message 20 of 30

@Andy005wrote:

I would have expected BT and the other operators to have collated data from the power distributors to identify areas that suffer from regular outages, such as some parts of Scotland, and to then switch these last.

I think you have missed the point. My mum has been on this planet for over 8 decades, being her son, myself 6 decades. We have just 'lived' with power outages as a part of life not living in the center of a city where the power is fed underground, to being in a rural area where the power is fed by a network of delicate pylons!

Friends of mine who live in a city, have honestly never experienced a power cut in their lives apart from industrial action in the 70s!

We don't want to be converted, 'last', we don't want to be converted at all!

0 Ratings