cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: New webmail release 2.20.2

I haven't missed the point @Stephen5000 , in fact with the exception of power cuts I am in a similar situation so I fully understand the needs that we have. My Mother has dementia and although she doesn't have broadband and therefore no DV, the problems don't end there because she'll sometimes unplug the base station, turn the ringer down by accident etc, so I often end up travelling to her because the phone just rings out. So power outages are just a small part in of the problems that most of us face.

However, it's going to happen so we need to accept it and move on. I'm being forced (or be moved to a much higher tariff) to have smart meters fitted. Personally I don't see the point, if people need something to show them that switching off a light saves electricity then they shouldn't be allowed near electricity. But what do I know, somewhere someone thinks spending £13 billion on them is a good thing, I don't like it but it's happening so when it's my turn I accept it.

Message 22 of 30

Why SHOULD we "accept it & move on"?

Message 23 of 30

@Oddbodkinwrote:

In principal, I entirely agree. If it was just a matter of swapping company, I wouldn't miss a heartbeat in doing so. But as BT own the infrastructure, there is no customer choice in the matter. My mum has been with BT since it's inception, before that, being with GPO.  She has absolutely no choice in this issue whatsoever, unless, you know different?

Message 24 of 30

@Oddbodkin wrote:

Do you still have an analogue TV or is it digital? Is it an old cathode ray tube or a flat screen?

If you use a camera does it use film or is it digital?

Do you use an abacus or a digital calculator?

Does your computer use floppy discs or does it have a hard drive?

Do you still write letters or do you predominately use email?

Do you have a mobile phone?

.... and the list goes on. Things change over time, maybe for the better maybe not but one thing is sure, the telephone infrastructure is changing for all telephone companies and unless you do not want to have a landline telephone you will need to accept it and move on.

Message 25 of 30

@Oddbodkinwrote:

Mainly because it has been approved by Ofcom and as I understand it all providers will be moving to digital voice, so I see no sense in objecting to BT. I don't see why I SHOULD be paying over £6.50 for a gallon of fuel when I used to pay less than 50p! It's a choice, accept it or go without. Like most things you can't really object to those that propose something, it's really down to the approval.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

@gg30340wrote:

@Oddbodkinwrote:

Do you still have an analogue TV or is it digital? Is it an old cathode ray tube or a flat screen?

If you use a camera does it use film or is it digital?

Do you use an abacus or a digital calculator?

Does your computer use floppy discs or does it have a hard drive?

Do you still write letters or do you predominately use email?

Do you have a mobile phone?

These were all improvements over what went before, taking away the ability to use an emergency life line without any power is a severe detraction of what is currently available. Don't worry, your mate Andy will be along shortly to give you a nice little vote and tell you how right you are LOL

Message 27 of 30

... and no doubt some other luddites will be along to support you and give you a shoulder to cry on and possibly a few more nice little votes.

Anyway I will now leave you to try and work out how you can stop the inevitable happening and who knows you might succeed so please keep this thread updated on how your quest is going. 

Message 28 of 30

A sarcastic attitude towards adds nothing.

The fact is, this move by BT will cost people's lives.

BT could build a backup into their system which lasts more than an hour & the only reason they aren't, is because it'd cut into their profits.

Message 29 of 30

@Oddbodkinwrote:

A sarcastic attitude towards adds nothing.

The fact is, this move by BT will cost people's lives.

BT could build a backup into their system which lasts more than an hour & the only reason they aren't, is because it'd cut into their profits.

Do you not understand - the changes are driven by OFCOM and affect all providers. You should direct your complaints to them.

For Norther Ireland:

Landmark House,
The Gasworks,
5 Ormeau Rd,
Belfast BT7 2JD

OFCOM - Belfast office 

Message 30 of 30

OK guys,

I'm locking this thread as it's just turning into a tit for tat argument.

Cheers

David