cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Digital voice

Hi. 

Does anyone know of a good Battery Back Up system to use instead of the non existent one for the Digital Voice system. 

It would be to power a Smart Hub 2 and a BT8600 base station in the event of a power outage 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

@Dave998 

I have this one in use for a PC and other kit.

Amazon Basics Line-Interactive UPS-400VA with Shutdown Software and Surge Protection, UK Outlets

About £66.

Message 4 of 19

There is a large post on subject 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-voice-and-power-cuts/m-p/2161183

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 19

Thanks.  

I’ll have a look at it.
Just trying to find something due to BT not having their BBU in stock and then having no idea when it’ll be in stock. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) devices can vary enormously in the length of time that they will power attached devices and the price will reflect this.

You will need to decide on how long you want your devices to stay connected in the event of a power failure and once you have done that you can set your budget or it may be easier to do it the other way round. Set your budget and see what you can get.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

BT should provide battery back up as standard, they ramble on about having other things such as a mobile but I would quite like to receive incoming calls as I don't give my mobile phone to many people and rarely answer it anyway.

I will just report it as a fault anytime it fails due to power outage I did not ask for DV and it is up to the provider to provide continuous service if it means BT providing everyone with battery back up so be it.

I have also raised it with ofcom who say this is one thing they are discussing with phone providers.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Please point out the clause in your contract that says you are guaranteed 100% continuous service.

Message 9 of 19

@Bob1001 wrote:

BT should provide battery back up as standard, they ramble on about having other things such as a mobile but I would quite like to receive incoming calls as I don't give my mobile phone to many people and rarely answer it anyway.

I will just report it as a fault anytime it fails due to power outage I did not ask for DV and it is up to the provider to provide continuous service if it means BT providing everyone with battery back up so be it.

I have also raised it with ofcom who say this is one thing they are discussing with phone providers.

Regarding Ofcom, do you think they are discussing it with BT and other telephone providers because there is no requirement, legal or otherwise, to provide "continuous service" that the phone will always work and in particular if it is out side their control.

Perhaps you should also complain to your electric company if you suffer from frequent power outages.

Regarding you reporting a power outage as a fault, keep in mind that BT under the rules that Ofcom have put in place have to repair faults within two working days and that only applies if the fault is on their network. It does not apply if the fault is out side their control. Also even if the power outage last two or more days any battery back up would not.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

@Dave998   Some information on the power requirements of the Smart Hub 2 at https://bt-digital-voice.blogspot.com/ if you are considering a DIY solution. 

0 Ratings