cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 48

Re: Multi-call option - Digital Voice

Thank you for your further replies. A pity that some people think I have not been forthcoming with information. Perhaps an appropriate question would have helped?

My original question concerned the fact that the Multi-call facility was something that I did not want and could not cancel unless I paid BT for a digital phone that I might only use once - to cancel Multi-call.  I was attempting to find out whether there was an alternative solution.

The contributions above have enabled a partial solution in that the cordless phones no longer give the engaged tone when I try to make an outgoing call. Sadly, no solution has been offered to the question of how I can cancel Multi-calling.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 48

I suspect the reason for that is that it was determined your problems weren't due to the multi-call option being enabled in the first place.

The simplest solution to disabling multi-call is to temporarily borrow a DV handset from a neighbour or friend that has one.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 48

If that isn't an option, please message one of the very helpful Moderators on here, who should be able to get multi call switched off remotely for you.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 48

This has been a very helpful thread. As London is being forced into digital voice by end of 2023 I have been looking into the implications for me. I have cut down all landlines now just to one in my office on each of our two numbers so will not have the phones around the house issues of some people (we had until recently phones in SEVEN  rooms) so my cull down to just one room and near the old BT hub is my step one.

What interests me on this thread is how things will change as I will be unable to disable the 3 way calling as will be plugging my corded phone into the new hub once it arrives. I already know things like I will have to dial 020 even for local numbers and that the open line sound may sound different and call minder settings sound complex.

My question relevant to this thread is if I just have the one corded phone plugged in the new hub (on which I spend hours a day on landline calls - far far too many today unfortunately already) will as now callers when I am busy be taken straight to my answering message? I hate and will never use Call Waiting. 

Or will I be provided with a new service where things like 3 way calling and call waiting are enabled and I am given no way to revert things back to how they now are? I don't want to know if someone is calling me when I am busy on the phone and I want that person to know right away I am engaged and to leave a message ( as now).

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 48

Hi @Jane2018 

Call Waiting can be managed in your account (MyBT), and as far as I know this only works if you're using one of the BT Digital handsets.

I believe that Multi-Call and 3 Way Calling are also only available if you are using the BT Digital handset(s).

Therefore if you're planning to continue to use your corded phone by plugging it into the back of the SH2, then nothing will change and you'll continue as you are today. I think you're worrying unnecessarily at the moment.

Message 46 of 48

Multi-Call is a relatively new feature and is only available to those with Digital Voice. Call Waiting and 3 Way Calling have been BT Calling Features that been available for some time. Nobody has been forced to have those latter features. It's a bit different with DV as the new technology now allows more options and features as standard and at no extra cost. It's called moving with the times in the same way that we no longer have to call the Operator to connect long distance or international calls.
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 48

Thanks. I certainly seem to be worried about Digital Voice. If the only thing I had to do was plug my corded phone into the back of the hub I would not be too worried. instead there seem to be many tasks I will have to do which I am only finding out by accident or by reading up on it (eg need to have a hub 2 delivered, new password, start and then restart the hub, deal with my recorded voice mail, etc. I have also had 2 separate emails in last 2 weeks from BT inviting me to public meetings - one local and one 20 mins away (not sure why invited to two) - I won't go as there would not be scope to ask my slightly complex questions, but it certainly shows London is gearing up to the move.
0 Ratings
Message 48 of 48

Call waiting and call minder have been BT functions for years. I found call minder good and still pay over £4 a month for it - the personal recorded message (itself a complicated creature under digital voice due to wanting my personalised message and whether that means my bills go down the £4 I pay as it is now included in digital voice or not etc) and call waiting I did try about 20 y ears ago or whenever it came out but never liked it so disabled it.
0 Ratings