cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Phone Line Issues

We in our area have been without a phone line since 17 November.  The current update from BT now doesn't give a date for a fix.  I have contacted BT and although I could go over to digital voice I don't want to.  What I would like to know is that for those who have been without a line do we get the refund on the line fees as we don't have a phone to use?  Or do we have to log a complaint to do that?  My brother who is in the same area doesn't have broadband only a standard phone line so it would be good to know for him as we are paying for something we can't use.

Many thanks

Elisabeth

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Phone Line Issues

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Sad to see no reply to this and we in our area still have no working phone lines.  The rumour is that it affects 2000 people and it's being worked on.  The fix date is now 16 December which will be a month since anyone had a working landline.  Very disappointing.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

There has been no reply because there is clearly nothing anybody can do to expedite things.

You were offered to be moved to Digital Voice which you will have to move to at some point in the near future anyway, why did you not accept the offer?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

this is a customer help customer community forum and your post doers not go to BT

you should get a pro rata refund of your line rental for the period without your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 16

Thanks. I hadn't realised that. When I've attempted to raise it with BT it wasn't helpful. Thanks for the reply.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Because it wouldn't work with the bell we have installed. They do flag that on the website. For my brother he will probably opt to have the line disconnected as he doesn't want internet.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@Elisabeth73 Is your broadband service working? Assuming it is and your broadband is delivered down the same copper line have you seen any seeing any reduced speeds or increased latency?

Also on a side note that from September 2023 you will only be able to get a phone service via Digital Voice (Internet based voice service) when regrading your package and making changes or moving. Also current customers who receive a phone service via the traditional analogue service will be migrated to Digital Voice including those with no broadband today.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Yes broadband is working.  It has been a bit up and down but BT moved me over to Halo 2 - the one that has the back up of EE.  I've still had a few dips when on zoom calls but normal working is fine.    We are looking into alternatives for the "bell" - and once we have that the BT phone line can go.  Neither my brother of myself are going to bother with Digital Voice.   Thanks for the tips.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Elizabeth

It sounds like you're in a similar position to us.

Briefly, we lost our landline in August due to a fault on BT's underground cable. Fortunately broadband not impacted. Not just BT customers affected, of course. Logged the fault, waited for resolution which took more than 3 weeks. 

The ofgem website says affected customers should get compensation automatically. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Dream on. After phoning to find out why we've received nothing we did get 6 days compensation but have had to log a complaint to get considered for the rest of what we're owed.

It seems to me that BT owe everyone affected from the time they were first notified of the fault regardless of whether the affected people are BT customers or not and also regardless of whether they reported the fault. No doubt BT don't see this in quite the same way.

0 Ratings