cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Porting telephone number from FTTC to FTTP on Formby exchange blocked by BT

Go to solution

Hi, scenario (s) 4 off:

User 1 on BT (neighbour) tried to go full Sky i.e. stream, broadband and telephone moving from copper FTTC to FTTP fibre on Formby exchange been told cant retain home number and BT won't allow? Why? Process halted. They want Sky.

User 2 on PLUSNET (neighbour) waiting to go full SKY i.e. stream, broadband and telephone moving from copper FTTC to FTTP fibre on Formby exchange. FTTP for sky stream and broadband all in all working, but telephone not working no dial tone on rear of hub and FTTC no dial either. PLUSNET contract ends 25th August. No phone for a week, they have informed Sky numerous times and they say BT have told them quote ‘They can’t retain home number as BT won't allow?’ Why? They will lose number of some 50 years.

User 3 on PLUSNET (me) tried to go full Sky i.e., stream, broadband and telephone moving from copper FTTC to FTTP fibre on Formby exchange Been told can’t retain home number as BT won't allow? Why? They won’t say but as Plusnet no longer supporting analogue calls over FTTC going forward and they recommend other VOIP suppliers i.e., Vonage, BT Digital Voice Ooma etc. but say they can’t guarantee even then that I could retain my telephone number. Why?

User 4 (neighbour) was BT FTTC went BT FTTP was able to retain number???

As above all on Formby Exchange - 2 users in same road with PLUSNET, one BT round corner. Plusnet users can’t retain number, going to Sky, and BT going to Sky can’t, but BT to BT user can? 

User1 (next road- same exchange) still on Formby exchange but been told can’t retain number going to Sky, so if they want to retain number have to stay with BT? Why?

Common denominator all on same exchange but if moving to Sky they can’t retain number. But if on BT moving to BT FFTC TO FTTP can. Strange!

I am seeing a pattern here? Let me spell it out for your, any ISP going to any other ISP other than BT you can’t keep your number. If you are BT and going to BT you can?

So is there a technical reason why BT Openreach can’t retain number. I.e. Is it something like FTTC is on Formby exchange and FTTP is on Southport, so technically on different exchanges so cant (maybe) ? But then BT FTTC to FTTP BT can? Why?

Or BT are just being problematic and refusing porting to anything other than BT monopoly. I smell a rat. Am I missing something?

Help 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Porting telephone number from FTTC to FTTP on Formby exchange blocked by BT

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

@Liver_Diver 

Are you a BT Retail customer?

Bear in mind that telephone exchanges are closing, and calls are being routed over the Internet. This does place some limitations on what number ranges can be ported.

BT Retail now use BT Digital voice, and there is a process to move existing BT Retail customers onto that service, and retaining their number.

If the number is owned by another provider, then this can present issues.

Openreach do not allocate numbers, they are owned by individual Service Providers.

BT Retail have no control over number they do not own.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

I moved from BT FTTC to an Altnet FTTP  a couple of months ago. My number was ported to my new providers VOIP no problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Apologies I am not but my neighbour who is 70 with husband terminally asked if I could post on her behalf. Of course I could post on her account? I am Plusnet, but she is BT wanting to move to sky, so reading between the lines although you say BT is looking after BT customers are you saying if she doesn't move to BT Digital Voice she will lose her number 🤔.  The one she needs to meet medical needs of her husband? And there are no other options? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thr common demoninator appears to be Sky so have you asked them?

FWIW transfers are gaining provider led & BT wouldn't be blocking themparticularly if they're with plusnet

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Yes as per post they quite simply say BT is blocking the porting
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

And do you not think they could be lying?

A number port can never be guaranteed 100% BUT categorocally BT will not be blocking it. Sky saying they are is just an excuse. The fact you keep saying BT says a lot, BT retail have no control over transfers from plusnet, if Sky are telling you that it's incorrect info, oprenreach own/maintain the network & they clearly have no clue what they're talking about

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

It could just as easily be SKY who are having problems porting number asthey are also moving to digital and just conveniently blaming the other ISP

From other forum posts where customers moving from SKY have problems porting number to BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Yes lying is one solution. Hence why asking the expert. Problem one user is half way through move and they say its BT causing issues. Other user, wife with terminally ill husband had tried moving to sky from BT and they say similar. So why would sky say that if they want the business? So I feel there are bigger issues than lying 🤥 🙄 . Cant disagree with the rest of your reply though. Just can't work out the real issue

Tags (1)
0 Ratings