cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 34

Re: Digital Voice - Cannot receive all incoming calls (Very frustrating)

@archer3 

No still not working. Engineer said somebody would call on Saturday and it would be fixed, they did call but no luck. Waiting on a call tomorrow/Tuesday now. 

Really really painful experience, one that I am paying for too.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

@rcpoucher 

Sorry to hear that.  I spoke to someone at BT about this (again) today, who told me the back office team who deal with these issues don't work weekends, so nothing can be progressed until tomorrow at the earliest.  Apparently, the relevant team committed to fix mine within 4 hours last Tuesday, so it's currently a mystery as to why they haven't.  I am expecting an update on Wednesday and it seems highly unlikely mine will be fixed until then.

He also told me that if the porting issue causing this isn't resolved within 30 days (9th or 10th March) of initially being moved to Digital Voice, then I (and presumably you) will loose the original phone number completely and it cannot be retrieved. Hopefully, it will be sorted much sooner than that.

Good luck 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 34

None of this is going to be easy, as it probably involves modifying the routing of phone traffic which is still originating on the old PSTN network, and directing each individual 64Kb digital timeslot and its signalling, onto a router which can convert that into IP in a format that can be passed over the BT routers, to end up at the destination exchange router serving the end customer.

There are many OLOs (Other Licenced Operators) who would normally connect to the BT network at specific locations, and I would imagine that sorting out all of these historic connections must be a nightmare, so I am not surprised at all, that there are missing links.

This is going to take some sorting out, and I suspect not all of it can be done by someone on a computer. Its likely to need people in the exchanges changing coax patch cables, unless there has been some radical change since I retired from BT.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

@Keith_Beddoe 

That's disappointing to hear, because I've been repeatedly told by BT customer service agents that, once the relevant back office team gets onto it, this will only take 2-4 hours (max overnight) to be fully resolved.  If it's going to involve lots of changing of coax patch cables etc, it's going to take a lot longer which nobody at BT as told me.

Given the PSTN network is due to be switched off at the end of 2025, it makes you wonder how on earth BT will manage moving over all of its millions of customers in time.

Message 25 of 34

It does make you question why BT is pushing migration to DV so energetically, if it hasn't yet managed to get all the historic connections sorted out that are essential to make it all work. Surely that should come first before even considering changing over people to DV?
Otherwise BT is just cynically using its customers as unwitting guinea pigs
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

For those providers who already have their phone traffic routed over IP, it will be straightforward, and software controlled. I am not sure how many are actually in that position, but there must be plenty of others not at that stage yet.

As far as the physical connections, I am referring back about 14 years, when interconnections were made on very large DDFs (Digital Distribution Frames). As the migration to IP is fairly recent, I cannot imagine all of those connections no longer exist. Others on this forum who have worked for BT, will know what I mean.

Personally I would take all of the estimates to fix all of the routing as optimistic, because unless there have been very accurate historic records kept, there are going to be missing routes from certain providers, maybe only affecting certain exchanges.

Anyway, its a bit off-topic now, but I hope its gives some idea of problem that may arise, so lets see how long it really takes, remembering of course that every provider that moves to VOIP, are going to face the same routing problems.

Fortunately the mobile network does not normally suffer from this problem, otherwise moving from one provider to another, would not be as easy as it is now.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

@Keith_Beddoe 

The interesting thing is that when someone attempts to call me (since migration to DV) the caller either gets an unobtainable tone (e.g. calls from Talk Talk fixed, BT fixed and Vodafone mobile), or a recorded message saying the call cannot be connected (e.g. calls from O2 mobile).  It never diverts to BT centralised voicemail.  You would think that if the problem was local to me and/or my exchange, a failed call would still divert to BT VM.   

I can dial 1571 to check VMs (there never are any of course) and set up (or cancel) call divert.  Call divert has no effect though, because the caller still gets an unobtainable tone (or cannot be connected message), rather than being diverted to the destination number.

Incoming calls from EE mobile connect properly.  Perhaps also from 1 or 2 other networks but I don't know.

Presumably, I am in a small minority having such problems.  I can't believe that incoming calls from a wide range networks (including the BT fixed network) are unable to reach the majority of DV customers.

Message 28 of 34

It simply means that the calls are not reaching its destination because they are still routing to the local PSTN exchange, where your number no longer exists.

Personally I think this is going to be affecting lots of other VOIP customers, who may be unaware that callers from certain networks cannot get through. Its will not only be BT Retail customers having this issue.

I would imagine that identifying all these missing routes, is going to take a very long time, owing to the complexity of the existing PSTN routing, which has separate voice and signalling elements.

I wonder if the test equipment used to analyse these, still exists, and the people skilled to use it?

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 34

@rcpoucher 

Hi again.  Have you had any success getting this fixed?

One of the moderators from this community messaged me today saying he has taken ownership of my case and raised it with an "escalation team" so I'm hoping mine will be fixed soon.  However, I've had my hopes up before, so not counting my chickens just yet.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 34

@archer3 

Nope no success, I had a call yesterday stating all should be sorted by 16:00 today but nothing. 

I have however seen on my myBT account under ‘products’ that my landline number has been changed!!!! I have tried this number and it connects, so at the moment I have just lost my landline number of over 50 years!!! 

Suppose I’ll be ringing them again as i recieved an email earlier stating ‘my case has been closed’. Absolute joke once again. 

0 Ratings