cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Telephone Extension Sockets with BT Digital Voice - Are they of any use now?

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody could please advise?

I have recently moved to BT Digital Voice, and am happy with how it's working.

However, even though the new master socket faceplate (version 5c) has a telephone socket next to the broadband one, I can't really see the point, as , so far as I can tell, the broadband signal is not carried over this line, so it would not be possible to move the router to a more central location in my house.

I have an extension socket plugged into the telephone point at the master socket, but the router appears not to work on this extension. At least the solid blue light never appears.

Apologies if this is a daft question to the more expert members on here.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Telephone Extension Sockets with BT Digital Voice - Are they of any use now?

Message 3 of 5

Re: Telephone Extension Sockets with BT Digital Voice - Are they of any use now?

I'm a bit confused over exactly what you have. It appears that your landline has been moved to DV but your broadband is still copper, is that right? If so, you can still use one of your extensions to relocate the router, you just need to add a filter to the RJ11 cable. Same as you would have done before filtered faceplates were introduced.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @rbz5416   You don’t need a filter if there is no voice service. The only advantage is it provides a RJ11 converter but I replaced mine with a telephone to RJ11 cable making the filter redundant.

Message 5 of 5

@rbz5416  However the extension will be wired from the filtered side of the master socket so broadband will not work at the extension socket unless you move the wires that are currently connected to terminals 2&5 to the data extension terminals. No filter is required as your voice service is DV, although you may need one to convert the extension phone socket to an RJ11 for the router DSL lead.

See https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1489673/Openreach-Nte5c.html?page=3#manual